Juvenile doesn't like BSFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for a bearded dragon to be a picky eater? I've fed the guy superworms, dubias, crickets, and I just cannot get him to eat BSFL. I put some in with his salad and a few of them went missing, so I assume he had some at least by accident. But now I can put them in his cage clear as day and even when they squirm a bit he shows no interest.

Is it normal for beardies to be picky? I kind of had the impression they would eat just about anything that crawls. Is there a way to make them more enticing for him as well? I don't want all these grubs to go to waste.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I have a water skink who hates the taste of the live BSFL , but if I snip the head off the lavae or pupae and squeeze out the meat --- she thinks that's yummy .
My BTs and beardie don't mind the lavae , and flies , but I need to hand feed the lavae & pupae to them.

She's very spoilt , I've noticed the wild water skinks polish off the remains without any hesitation (they are not picky at all - and always hungry for more food and left overs from pet lizards).

ryknoll3

Yes it's possible for them to be picky. MY guy recently decided he's not interested in dubias anymore. He'll eat a few of them every few days to keep from starving I guess, but he's not very enthusiastic. I bought some crickets (I hate those miserable, smelly, die quickly, bite my dragon things) and he has been chomping those down.

I see all of these YouTube videos of people's dragons nearly jumping out of their enclosures to get their bugs. I wish I had one of those... I'm always worried whether he's eating enough of something's wrong.

He'll eat a few BSFL, but they don't really get him too excited, either. He DOES get most excited about hornworms, but he can't have too many of those.

ryknoll3

Yes it's possible for them to be picky. MY guy recently decided he's not interested in dubias anymore. He'll eat a few of them every few days to keep from starving I guess, but he's not very enthusiastic. I bought some crickets (I hate those miserable, smelly, die quickly, bite my dragon things) and he has been chomping those down.

I see all of these YouTube videos of people's dragons nearly jumping out of their enclosures to get their bugs. I wish I had one of those... I'm always worried whether he's eating enough of something's wrong.

He'll eat a few BSFL, but they don't really get him too excited, either. He DOES get most excited about hornworms, but he can't have too many of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom