Cant seem to hand feed 3 month old help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So i adopted a 3 month old (someone gave up a beardie that young !) and he is in a nice home, but he is really really shy and scared. For the past three days iv been working it slowly like putting my hand inside his viv and just holding there so he gets used to my hand, iv tried hand feeding crickets, wax worms, even meal worms but he wont hand feed. Seemed like he was eating his crickets fine the first day and the second, but today he is being more scared than before and not eating his crickets, iv only seen him eat one. He is not aggressive at all, which is a good thing, just really scared, which makes me feel really bad :(. He looks in good condition since iv got him, nice and fatty, but other than that I cant come near it without it hiding behind his basking rock or glass surf like crazy and panics. I saw a video on youtube of a guy who put his baby beardie in a tub, and practiced holding him many times. Like he would hold him, after a few seconds the beardie would jump out into the tub (safe landing) and try to escape, and he would pick him up again, all very gently and claims it works, thoughts on this?

any help would be appreciate it.
Maybe it is just stress from relocation and needs more time

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad he has a good home now. He's still pretty small so the changes are probably affecting him. I would try and give him some space and let him settle and adjust. Make some cozy areas in his tank where he can hide if he wants to. I wouldn't push handling too hard yet if he doesn't like it. If he's a good weight then I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of appetite either. Just make food available and let him take what he wants. Depending on the situation he came from it may take a little while for him to settle into his new home and new routine. Since he's so young I'm sure he'll come around after a while though. Just be patient with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom