Handling after eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
New beardie owner here so wondering how long after feeding can we hold our beardie? She loves being out of her tank and since we work a lot we try to keep her out as much as possible when we are home. She is not a morning eater at all. She likes to eat after we get home. If she eats one leaf of kale do we still have to wait the same time as when she eats a full meal? Usually after she eats she’s by the glass wanting out. I have heard anywhere from 1-2 hours under light for her food to digest.
Thanks!!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Yes, two hours is a good guideline to follow to minimize risk of incomplete digestion. If she eats like one leaf of kale, two hours is unnecessary. If you let her bask in the sun for the however long you have her out and then give her more time to bask to make a total of two hours, you can do that too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
A nice snuggle on your lap , chest or tummy , especially if you have a baggy hoody sleeve or a t-shirt handly to drape over them will make the now full beardie nice and toasty and help with digestion. Human body temperature is very close to Preferred Body Temperature (PBT) for Bearded Dragons is 35oC (95oF).
Preferred Optimum Temperature Range (POTR the range of temperature needed to maintain normal body functions) is 35oC to 39oC ie (95oF to 102oF). viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

All my skinks and beardies get snuggles most days , and it's usually after their daily meal. It's part of our daily routine.

All mine get some live insects each day + some greens and occasionally treats, and often it's handfed to them.

If you feed the lizard later in the day, make sure the lizard has at least 2 hours to warmup and get digestion started, a snuggle is OK and great way to bond with the lizard, body heat from a nice toasty human is a great source of heat for lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom