Baby Beardie wont eat much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooty

Hello, i got my beardy a few weeks ago( hes about 2-3 months old) and he was eating normal the first day or so but then stopped and will only eat very minorly the collard/dandilion greens i give and mabye 1 cricket if im lucky. ive tried putting him in a feeding bin alone for a while but he just tries to get out. Hes got a long 10.0 uvb tube with a basking light in a 40 gallon.
I took into account the relocation stress and the shedding he had but hes been done shedding for a couple days now. Still very active and alert too. Just wondering if there are any tips on trying to get him to eat .

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He might not like the feeder tank. Mine have always been fed in their tanks. I'd try that. Drop crickets in one at a time until he's done. Also can you give a rundown of the set up?

Smooty

Original Poster
hey, sorry, the feeder bin is a small plastic container , his actual tank is the 40 gallon one i mentioned. ive tried just dropping the crickets in one at a time but he ignores them. they are lightly dusted with the calcium powder as well.

Smooty

Original Poster
update: Hes still refusing to eat, even the greens. I will have to order the phoenix worms online since no store here carries them except one and its only sometimes. i bought him some waxworms, i know its more like a treat but he did eat about 4 of them hesitantly over 10 minutes yesturday. i also bought some chicken baby food and put it on the top of his nose and he did lick it up a little bit. Still very alert but it looks like hes starting to get a little thin. Its been around 2 and a half weeks since i got him and want to know if its still relocation stress or any other ways i can get him to start eating more.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since it has now been 2 1/2 wks since you got him and he is still not eating as well as getting thinner, it would be a good idea to have a fecal checked for parasites, sooner rather than later.

What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? Is the 10.0 UVB tube the Repti-Sun brand and is it a T8 or T5 (high output) bulb? Is it on top of the tank or mounted inside?

Smooty

Original Poster
I have the t5 reptisun florescent tube mounted on top, the temperatures on the hot side usually are between 100-110F and its a digital thermometer i use where the probe is sitting on the branch he uses to bask on.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good that you have the T5 bulbs. Please make sure the distance of that bulb to your beardie when on the basking branch is no closer than 10" with 12" being safer.

Would highly recommend that you take a fecal to be checked, parasites can be very dangerous and can actually kill a young beardie. Better to be safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom