Newbie Owner to Evie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, learning so much (spend hours here LOL) I am a new beardie owner of about 2 weeks(did a ton of research before I got her), Evie, is roughly about 4 months old based on her size - 12"(?) When I bought her the person who had her before me (said he has her for approx. 3-4 months...which doesn't make sense) was feeding her 6 crickets a day and some strawberries. They had her on a 7-7 day/night schedual, (7am-7pm she had no light and was covered with a blanket to mimic night time and the 7pm-7am her lights where on) she could get no where near close enough to basking or UV light. They also said she had shed twice. She is now on a 8:30am-10pm schedual with me, I have removed her screen so she can get better UVB light, it's a Reptisun 10.0 T8 (I will be getting a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO next month, I've read you can place that on the screen and she will get the UVB she needs?) and she can get within 6-8" of the light, her basking temp 105+/-, ambient air hot side 90+/-, ambient air cool side 77+/-, over night temp 69+/- (completely dark).

So I guess my question is feeding, she very inconsistent when she eats, I feed her usually 2x a day (I tried 3X a day but that was a no go) some days it's 18 (always light dusted with calcium) crickets, some days its 12 and other days like yesterday it was like 5, is this normal? It freaked me out a bit so I got her some, wax worms and a couple small horn worms (because to me she look dehydrated and I know horns worm are full of water). This morning she eat 3 crickets(I put 5 in) and 4 wax worms and horn worm. She more active today then she ever has been and she is "window surfing" (as you guys say) a lot today...what does that mean? I do offer her greens everyday and she has eaten a few tiny mouthfulls off my finger but usually never minds with it. I live in Canada (about an hour north of Detroit) and the weather here that last few days has been deep cold....cold...short weather....back to snow today... can weather affect them?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like she's just taking a little while to settle in. Her eating sounds O.K, keep in mind that beardies may snub other insects once you give them waxworms + horworms. Best to stick with the crickets.

Can you post pics of Evie [ full body shots ] as well as her entire set up ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

AndreasFarm

Original Poster
HAHAH Yes I know she may snub the crickets now. But I'm hoping that she will go back to them when she gets hungry enough, she did eat the last couple in her cage throughout the afternoon. Soon I'll give her a bath and then her before bed feeding.
Here are the pictures:
96472-7432689038.jpg
96472-6295110518.jpg
96472-7555047292.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks great ! Nice set up, too. :) Want to mention that they don't daily need baths, especially in the evening. Bathing at night can chill them after the lights go off because it takes a while for their scales to dry completely . A mid day bath [ then pat her dry + put back in the heat of the tank ] is fine about once a week, or if she likes them a bit more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom