Beardie refusing to eat dubias if they're dusted with calciu

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlys

For the past two weeks, my beardie has been refusing to eat his dubias if they're dusted. I've narrowed it down to that because, as soon as I switch them out with non-dusted ones, he eats like a little pig. I've tried only offering the calcium ones until he ate but he went three days without eating until I caved and gave him what he wanted.

I learned when he was sick that he'll gladly eat any fruit-based baby food so I was thinking I'd mix some calcium in but don't know a good dose. Although, I don't really want to have to give him it that way forever.

Anyone have any suggestions?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
How old is your beardie, and what brand of calcium are you using? Calcium is dusted on feeder insects because it corrects the calcium-phosphorous ratio, helping reptiles digest the insects properly. Dusting is not optional, and there's no viable replacement for it.

karlys

Original Poster
He's 7-8 months old and it's Fluker's Repta Cal but he also won't eat his multivitamin Rep Cal Herptivite either.

I can't give him calcium via other means right before he eats the cockroaches?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Looks like Fluker's reptile calcium supplement is flavored, and their calcium source (limestone flour) is unusual. Try a different one like Rep-Cal's calcium supplement. The problem is probably the way that the powder tastes. I've never heard of anyone having trouble with the Rep-Cal, including my own reptiles.

You could try giving him calcium with his salad or baby food, but at that age salad is probably unlikely and baby food could spoil his appetite for bugs. You can try, but it's not a reliable method of getting enough calcium into him, outside of forcing it into him with a syringe, which would not be pleasant for him or you.

karlys

Original Poster
I'm unable to get to the store today but will go tomorrow. In the meantime, I tried dusting today with some of a sample of Zoo Med's calcium that I got for free a while ago instead of the Fluker's. Still no interest though. He stares at them for a bit but then turns away.

I'll try getting and using the Rep-Cal before I resort to putting it in baby food. He'll eat a little bit of collard greens everyday but I've also tried dusting that and he refuses it when I do.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Weird, sounds like he genuinely hates the stuff.

Something else you can try is refusing to give in to his "tantrums." If he refuses to eat the dusted dubia, don't give him any. After about a week of this, he should be hungry enough to get over himself and eat.

RockysMom

Hatchling Member
HylianHealeys":2a04bxxg said:
Weird, sounds like he genuinely hates the stuff.

Something else you can try is refusing to give in to his "tantrums." If he refuses to eat the dusted dubia, don't give him any. After about a week of this, he should be hungry enough to get over himself and eat.

My dragon refused his calcium dusted Dubias at first, too. But once I ignored his "tantrums", he started eating them. He quickly realized that if he wanted his Dubias, he better eat the dusted ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom