Baby beardie eating calcium dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdawg2025

Okay so I’m new to owning a beardie as of yesterday and I’m wondering if it is normal for them to eat the calcium dust by itself. I have dusted mealworms (which I’ve heard aren’t ideal) in his cage and some of the calcium dust falls off of them in the process. He’ll barely eat the dried mealworms but will lick the calcium dust that has fallen off. Is this normal/healthy for them

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Its fine for them to eat calcium, i actually offer it in all my beardies tanks if they want it, usually in a small bowl on the cool end. (as long as its not calcium sand or they will die of impaction)

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list you can go there and upload pics, come back and hit XIMG to select it when posting.

It would be helpful to see how the setup is just in case anything is wrong.

And yes mealworms are not ideal, especially for smaller beardies (less than 4 or 6 months).
You can offer around 5-10 of those every other day or so as treats or every two days once older, and only live as the dried ones would be even less beneficial. This goes for all bugs.

Staple feeders would be dubia roaches, turkish roaches, silkworms, calciworms/pheonix worms/nutrigrubs/black soldier fly larvae (they have a lot of names, and crickets.

Depending on his age (my guess is he's less than 4 months) he'll be needing to eat 3 times a day, 10-20 bugs each feeding, with at least one feeding having supplements on them.

Calcium 5 times a week dusted on bugs, and multivitamins twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom