[Advice Needed] New Feeeding Schedule and Feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kryptozic

Hello. I currently have a 9 month old male beardie named Hercules, he's 16.2 inches and is very active and adventurous. I want to change change his feeding schedule since I heard that he should be eating every single day 2x a day bugs and fresh greens every day. I currently feed him 4-5 super worms in the korning after his light has been on for about an hour or two. (His light are on 12 hours a day, 7:30AM-7:30PM). I then feed 6-7 dubia roaches at 5PM so he could bask for 2 hours before he sleeps. Now, I should be doing this every day, but I was informed by the seller that beardie's his age are not allowed to eat as much as they want because they will overfill themeselves and get impacted. I kind f believe this, because I had a previous smaller dragon taht died of imapction. I let him eat how much he wanted everyday. Then again, the dubias were a little too big for him, so it's partially my fault because I didn't know. I'm just too afraid from the past experience to do this, even though the dubia's are the perfect size for him now. Can someone help me? I really don't want him to always be hungry.

I was also informed by the seller that I should feed the greens to him every other day too (I usually get him Collard Greens with bell peppers, but my Grandma accidently got him Kale this week). I read he was also supposed to be eating greens everyday too.

The calcium and the multivitamins I was told is suppose dto be dusted 3x both per week. I know it's wrong, nd it's supposed to be 5x Calci and 2/3x Multi Vitamins. Right now since I feed the supers and dubias seperatly, I dust them the oppopsite of which the other one got dusted with. I need help with this too.

And finally, the superworms. I always used dubia roaches, which I know is one of the best staples out there at the moment. But I heard the superworms are bad, since they're like drugs to a beardie and they have a lot of fat. I knew this from the start, and when I was given my beardie, the seller told me to feed him supers and dubias since he loves them both. I told her that I thought supers were bad, but I don't remember what she said cleary, but I heard something along the lines "It's not as long as...". Then another customer told us that her uncle's beardie lived off supers and he lived more than 10 years. So should I keep them, or replace them with BSFL/Phoenix worms with the dubia's? (I heard these don't need to be dusted, is that true?).

Thanks for the any help provided.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
This is what i go by for feeding,

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

For one feeding you could basically do 10 dubia roaches, 2 superworms, and 5-10 crickets. All dusted of course. And then mix it up the next feeding, like no superworms, 15 crickets, 5 dubias, 5 calci-worms. You could even do this with 12+ months, one day this, and then change it up the next feeding day.

Daily salads in all age ranges, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad. Kale is fine to give, personally i only give it occasionally and always mixed with other greens.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples. I recommend at least lightly dusting the calci-worms just in case, you can also use silkworms as a staple feeder.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many.

A beardie could live off superworms however it would be very obese and die of health issues caused by that like fatty liver disease, and have a few other problems.

Also you need to up his day light hours by at least two, 12 hours would be for a beardie thats burmating. Or if you want to get your beardie to go into burmation. 12 hours is basically winter and can make them go into burmation, while 14 hours would possibly stop that from happening and simulate summer time.

kryptozic

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":a70zrh74 said:
This is what i go by for feeding,

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

For one feeding you could basically do 10 dubia roaches, 2 superworms, and 5-10 crickets. All dusted of course. And then mix it up the next feeding, like no superworms, 15 crickets, 5 dubias, 5 calci-worms. You could even do this with 12+ months, one day this, and then change it up the next feeding day. << I hate giving crickets to my beardie, I am going to order him Phoenix worms maybe next week. So right now I only have Roaches and supers, how much should I feed him ont those a day?

Daily salads in all age ranges, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad. Kale is fine to give, personally i only give it occasionally and always mixed with other greens. << Yeah this will probably be the only time in a while I give him Kale, I had to basically give him superworms for him to eat just a little bit, I'm going back to add more variety to his salad, but for now, I'm just trying to get him used to eating it everyday.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples. I recommend at least lightly dusting the calci-worms just in case, you can also use silkworms as a staple feeder. << I was actually thinking about getting Silkworms, but I heard they were hard matinence since they had to be super sanitary and they're on a stirct diet with specific foods, and BSFL/Phoenix Worms have little to none work, and rival dubia roaches, so I went with that.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins. << This was the part that kind of confused me, so thank you very much. I guess I'll do The Calci Sun-Thurs and the Multi Friday and Saturday.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many. << Alright, so I guess I could offer him 2-4 supers 2 times a week with his dubias, so for now he's going to just eat dubia's before I get him BSFL. I rather stick with supers because there's a petco right around the corner from me (they have superworms, waxworms, etc except for hornworms) and hornworms I'm going to have to order online.

A beardie could live off superworms however it would be very obese and die of health issues caused by that like fatty liver disease, and have a few other problems.<< Yeah, that's what I read on, I guess I'll feed them as occassional treats from now on.

Also you need to up his day light hours by at least two, 12 hours would be for a beardie thats burmating. Or if you want to get your beardie to go into burmation. 12 hours is basically winter and can make them go into burmation, while 14 hours would possibly stop that from happening and simulate summer time. << It's actually winter here, but the last thing I want to do is have him brumate at a young age, or get sleepy, so I'll turn on his lights an hour earlier and give him an extra hour in the night.

Thank you for this info too, it's really going to help me out with him.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
According to claudiusx and other beardy owners, superworms actually can be used as a staple when beardies reach adulthood. When they're still growing though, I agree with Venus that giving superworms to a growing beardy is a bad idea as you wouldn't be able to provide enough calcium without giving too much fat to the beardy.

Also, Venus, BSFL aren't suppose to be dusted, especially Calci worms as they're calcium content is even higher than the other BSFL like Repti worms and Phoenix worms(in fact Calci worms can only be given as a staple for a short while to mbd stricken beardies

kryptozic

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":v5nqq1jq said:
According to claudiusx and other beardy owners, superworms actually can be used as a staple when beardies reach adulthood. When they're still growing though, I agree with Venus that giving superworms to a growing beardy is a bad idea as you wouldn't be able to provide enough calcium without giving too much fat to the beardy. << Oh, so that's what she was talking about!
Well, he's almost there, so I'll stick with Dubia's and BSFL for now.

Also, Venus, BSFL aren't suppose to be dusted, especially Calci worms as they're calcium content is even higher than the other BSFL like Repti worms and Phoenix worms(in fact Calci worms can only be given as a staple for a short while to mbd stricken beardies<< SO, BSFL can't be long term staple feeders like dubia's could?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Wen I said calcium for superworms, i meant the beardy wouldn't be able to get enough protein without getting too much fat if it was a growing beardy, the adult can have superworms as a staple.

Black soldier fly larvae like Phoenix worms and repti worms can be used as staples but calci worms can't unless the beardy is suffering from mad. Even then though, it shouldn't be given as a staple forever, only for a short while.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
They do have quite a bit of fat, less than a superworm however. And most larvae stage bugs have a lot of fat in the first place, other than hornworms and silkworms.

i still lightly dust them, and only a few, if i give 10 calciworms i give 5 un-dusted and 5 dusted and only the lighter ones get dusted since the darker ones have more calcium (from what ive heard). I should have probably mentioned that.

I also list them as a staple feeder because of the calcium portion and protien, the fat portion is quite high though again less than a superworm. So it would be possibly a in between feeder of staple and treat feeder i suppose.

I just want to point something out, black soldier fly, phoenix worms and calcium worms are all the same worms, just with different brand names. Other than the real name being black soldier fly.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Venus, actually, they're not that bad in fat. Also, they are different. Different companies feed different diets which result in different nutritional value amongst BSFL.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Possibly but they should never be a sole staple feeder no matter the age.

And you could also say the same thing with crickets, dubia roaches, mealworms, superworms, turkish roaches, hornworms, any feeder really. However it doesn't change that it is the same species.

Personally i feed my BSFL collard greens, occasional apples, mustard greens, turnip greens etc.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Actually Venus, being the same species doesn't make them equal. Sure crickets and Roaches can be fed different diets but none of them hit the ideal calcium ratio or past it. So, dusting would always be good for those Feeders. With BSFL however, the calci worms' diet makes their calcium content too high for consistent consumption(unless it is given as a staple for only a short while to a MBD stricken beardy), they're not just brand names. Also, BSFL can be staple feeders, theyre just more expensive. If you won't take it from me, take it from Brandon, he's quite knowledable in the beardy department viewtopic.php?f=76&t=192560.

Brandon also says supers can be used as staples for adult beardies along with others like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom