Daily salad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlinp99

Hi everyone!
What do you put in your beardie’s salad daily? Mine consists of spring greens and I’ll put one or two other fruit or veg in such as bell pepper, cucumber, watercress, etc. I use the beautiful dragons chart but I can’t find a lot of the staples such as mustard greens in the uk. And I can only find escarole and endive in salad bags with lettuce in them. I want to mix her salad up and give her more greens but it’s so difficult to find them!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Caitlyn, your salads sound pretty good. I buy spring greens as well but here in the U.S. I also can get the mustard, turnip, collard greens as well as kale. Can you get kale ? It's O.K to get the bag that has the endive + escarole to add to the mix, just weed out any iceburg lettuce. :) You can also offer some green beans ans snap peas once in a while.

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
AHBD":xp9uzyte said:
Hi Caitlyn, your salads sound pretty good. I buy spring greens as well but here in the U.S. I also can get the mustard, turnip, collard greens as well as kale. Can you get kale ? It's O.K to get the bag that has the endive + escarole to add to the mix, just weed out any iceburg lettuce. :) You can also offer some green beans ans snap peas once in a while.

Thanks for replying! I can get kale easily, as well as rocket which I think is okay for them to eat.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
since i live by myself i only keep the veg on hand that I would use if the beardie didn't eat it before it spoiled.

I've had good luck with Belgian Endive, zucchini squash, and for the salad I made last night I used zucchini and butternut squash. I don't know if my beardie will eat it directly though as I'm trying a small desert plate instead of the white paper towel my beardie usually eats veg off of. If it doesn't work the next salad I make tonight will be back on the paper towel.

Things i've tried and they haven't gone for was collard and kale greens both, orange bell pepper, banana (my first attempt at a fruit but it failed) and baby portebello mushrooms.

Your salad also sounds really good.

Thanks for sharing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have good luck offering different kinds of squash as well. I've found that greens keep for longer if you wash them, then cut them into hand size pieces. Put the pieces into a ziploc bag (quart size) with a sheet of paper towel. Pull the air out and put the bags in the fridge. A bundle of greens usually fills about 2 bags. I just write the date and type on the outside of the bag and the greens often stay crisp for a month this way.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I'm trying this but i'm doing a very fine chop as he's still growing nad only chopping up about half the baby kale tonight

thank you for the advise.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, definitely cut the pieces small and manageable when serving them. The larger hand sized pieces are just for storage in the bag. When you take the leaves out of the ziploc at serving time, thats when you want to cut them into serving sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom