How many insects should my beardies eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switched my beardies from crickets to dubia roaches. I've heard that beardies should be offered less roaches than crickets because they have a higher protein value - is that true? I have three beardies; one juvenile (10 months), one baby (4 months), and one adult (2 years). I would usually give the juvenile about 15 large crickets twice a day plus her salad, the baby eats as many as I can get her to eat twice a day plus salad every other day, and the adult eats seven large crickets once a day plus her salad. How many roaches should I be giving them instead? I don't want to underfeed them! I have large roaches (about 1/2 inch) for the two older ones and small (1/4 inch) roaches for my little guy. I know I should keep my baby's eating habits the same, but what about the other two?

Bear333

Hi there!

In my opinion, dubias are a much better option than crickets. I have a one year old bearded dragon, and She will eat approximately 8 to 10 half-inch roaches per feeding. This is a good, hearty feeding, and I would recommend this to your 10 month old, and probably your 2 Year old as well:)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use roaches too. Much easier to care for. I would keep feeding by time and interest rather than count. They may wind up eating less at each meal but offer as many as they want for about 10 min or until they lose interest. The adult should get 1 or 2 bug meals per week with daily salad (most of the diet) and the younger ones should get 1 or 2 bug meals per day. When your 10 month old reaches about 12 months then slowly reduce the frequency of bug feedings and try to get them eating more veges. By about 18 months the diet should be down to 1 or 2 bug meals per week as an adult.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not unless they are eating a LOT of veges. An adult's diet should be primarily (80% or so) veges. A nice wide variety of food rotated in a salad every day will give them the nutrients they need. Bugs are still good but not nearly as many as when they're young and need a ton of protein to support growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom