New beardie not eating his veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyotherperson

I just got my first bearded dragon about two weeks ago and he's been eating his crickets completely fine, but he refuses to eat any of his vegetables? I've tried cabbage, carrots, apples, bell peppers, etc. but he just refuses to eat them. Is it what I've been giving him? I just got all of those off of an online list of fruits and veggies you could feed them. Any ideas on how to get him to eat or help fix his diet?

Also here's the link to the website I got the safe fruits and vegetables for your bearded dragon: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php

cremble

Hi there,

I would suggest trying to put the crickets into his vegetables. Bearded dragons hunt mainly by motion, and most of the vegetables I've ever come across don't seem to be running around like crickets do. Maybe if you put the crickets into his vegetables, he will eat some vegetables along with the crickets. My dragon is also fooled if I shake the veggies around to simulate an insect moving. In addition, try to feed him more greens than vegetables. Of course you can still feed him vegetables, but dark leafy greens such as collard, mustard, dandelion, and turnip should also be fed. I would buy these from the store and wash them with warm water before serving.

Good luck!

Hi there. My suggestion to you would be to take your beardie out of the enclosure if you have bonded with him and you're able and put him in a tupperware dish or some type of tub separate from his tank and feed him so that his main focus is just the food. Put a towel or some paper towels down to prevent sliding. There is a lot of confusion about what to feed a dragon because although they are online lists available of what is safe the main staple of a bearded dragons diet should come from greens. Greens are leafy vegetables meaning similar to lettuces but are more dense in nutrition then water. Collard greens,mustard greens, turnip greens,endive,kale,and a little bit of spinach not too much because it blocks the absorption of calcium if fed in large quantities. You can buy these in the fresh produce department.make sure you wash all greens. To keep them fresh after washing them dry them off as much as possible store them in a tupperware container with a lid and some paper towels. You want to rip off small little strips approximately the size between their eyeballs. Pet your beardie and talk to him make sure he's relaxed show him the piece in front of his face let him smell it touch it to his mouth and try to slide it between his lips. Green's work well with this because they're so thin. If you create a little strip you can slide a portion of it into his mouth and give him no choice but to start chewing it and that's how I have gotten my particular bearded to eat greens who had never eaten them. Sometimes you have to hand feed them. Many people say Throw Greens in the bowl with some protein and he'll eventually catch on, some beardies do not. I believe it helps people to bond with their dragons much more by hand-feeding them. Also keep in mind that carrots,apples grapes cantaloupe all of that good stuff is high in sugar and they should be used as treats not a staple a bearded dragon should be eating Green's as I stated and protein on a regular basis. I personally would start with collard greens.Collard greens are stiff so you're able to get a nice strip. Just keep gently pushing it between the crease in his lips so it's in on his tongue and he has no choice but to chew it I think once he's got a taste of it he'll like it. If he moves his head away or acts aggressive just stop and try a little bit later or the next day but keep at it. Good luck!

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Heya, just wanted to add how old is your dragon? If he is less than a year don’t worry too much that he won’t eat his vege at the moment as they need mostly bugs until then anyway :)
If he’s a adult try the suggestions above :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom