Kale is not bad for bearded dragons.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I posted this in the feeding section but wanted to put it here as well. For as long as I can remember beardie owners seem to claim that kale is bad for beardies. This link shows that kale is not high in oxalates like spinach and is perfectly fine to feed to your dragon. I think it's important enough to pass the word to debunk that myth.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ95fBisHYAhVD4CYKHcc7BdsQFggsMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.medill.northwestern.edu%2Fchicago%2Fkale-sheds-bum-rap-on-kidney-stones%2F&usg=AOvVaw2o3jzfy8zjKaGQLVpUqZeP

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good info. Thanks for posting it. I've liked using kale on rotation as part of a balanced diet and haven't seen issues so far. I've also used plenty of dandelion greens which are high in oxalate. I've also read that if you boil the greens it will further reduce oxalate if it's still a concern. I still prefer offering fresh greens though. The key is still the more variety offered the better.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
This is great news, Peaches loves it but after reading it was bad i stopped. I hope she forgives me!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
You're welcome, and yes this can help beardie owners to go ahead + select kale right along with the other good greens. Some beardies do actually seem to prefer it over other greens.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great, kale is very healthy. I knew it wasn't one of the higher ones, but just didn't
always recommend it. I guess it is probably fine to use, with other greens then. :D
Thanks for posting that!

Tracie

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Thank you for posting this! So would you say this is as good as say, collards or mustard greens?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Great! I'll have to start adding it into Loki's salad! Thank you again for debunking this myth!

3magpie3

Cool! We eat a lot of kale so almost always have it in the house. I haven't fed it to Calvin yet because of all of the warnings but now I'll mix it into the rotation this week.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I know, it seems a lot of people eat kale more than other greens so it's already one of the more common veggies in the house.

Vallium

Good to know my last minute wal mart stop was not in vain. They didn't seem to have any of my usual bok choy/Mustard green/Turnip or even collard greens. It was pretty bad, I hardly ever get Kale but I picked up a bag anyways, since finances are looking up more favorably and my beardie is reaching adulthood, I can save a little on insects and spend more on varying their green diets.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Yes, it's good to know you can grab some kale whereas people were avoiding it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom