Black Soldier Fly Larvae

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalidog

How long does it take for Black Soldier Fly Larvae to turn into flies? My husband is not keen on having them at our home as an additional food source for my daughters beardie.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Well not entirely sure but make sure to feed the darker ones first as they have more calcium and those are the ones closer to becoming flies.
All i know is within 15 days all of mine that i have are still and dark (still alive), though i assume it depends on how much food they get.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I am getting then for the first tine this week, and was having the same dilemma. But, if you keep them at 50-55f (NOT FRDIGE TEMP THOUGH), they will last much longer. I fashioned an ice chest out of some styrofoam, added some frozen water bottles, and now I can just keep them in there. Also, if it isn't too cold, you can simply keep them in the garage. Good luck!

kalidog

Original Poster
I'm receiving my first shipment this week as well. More than likely will keep in garage so hubby doesn't freak out! :lol:

kalidog

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2o4fzh8b said:
Well not entirely sure but make sure to feed the darker ones first as they have more calcium and those are the ones closer to becoming flies.
All i know is within 15 days all of mine that i have are still and dark (still alive), though i assume it depends on how much food they get.

What do you feed the larvae?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Usually whats left over from the salads, though most of the time i throw in one whole leaf of a collard green and that'll last them a while until it dries up probably. They seem to like burrowing into the stem of the plant a lot.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
According to some sellers, they don't need to fed, though you can offer soft fruits, such as banana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom