gagging after eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jware2019

For the past couple meals I've watched my juvie beard eat, he will eat some then gag, eat some then gag, and puff his throat out. I don't know what that means? Should I be worried. His meals have been calcium dusted mealworms and small crickets. He won't eat veggies. Let me know if this is something I should be worried about Thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, how big is your beardie ? If he's a little guy the mealworms may be too big for him, plus they gulg them down quickly at that age so you must be careful. Mealworms aren't the best food for babies, should only be fed in very small quantities if at all for babies since they can cause impaction if given in large amounts.

Can you post pics of your baby, of his entire set up and also pics of the mealworms and the crickets next to a dime ? Here's how to post pics :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

jware2019

Original Poster
This is my little guy
96465-4717954285.jpg
96465-3150294265.jpg
These are his mealworms. I couldn't find a dime so I put my pinky nail next to them. I don't have any crickets to show but they were very small.
96465-8831954812.jpg
Ive read up on impaction and some things fit his description but not everything such as. He likes to bask with one or two of his back legs fully extended. This was worrisome at first but then he goes back to normal when I touch him so I think that he okay? He poops pretty regularly id say every day or two. He sleeps up against the glass with no light on but a ceramic heat light. Just letting you know a little more about him. Please let me know if all is well with my guy. Thanks so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks good, strong little bugger that hopefully came from good strong parents. :) The mealworms are def. too big, you are fortunate that he has not become impacted. Just keep those in a plastic container with some bran or oatmeal and put a piece of carrot in with them. They will turn to beetles + lay eggs , you'll have baby mealworms after a while. In the meantime only feed him a freshly shed one every other day or so, but those are too big right now. Once he's closer to 10" you can make them part of his diet but don't make the mistake of feeding him too many at a time.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I would give him better feeders. Phoenix worms, silk worms and dubia roaches. Beardies get tired of the same food. It's good to have a variety :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom