Kale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I have heard many things about kale being bad or kale being good? I got my baby about 6 days ago and he has been eating kale ever since and is doing perfectly fine. Should i stop feeding him kale?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Yes stop feeding him kale. Kale and spinach should be avoided as they can combine calcium/stop absorption of calcium which then leads to calcium deficiencies/mbd and very painful troubles later on.

The best things to feed daily is collard greens, turnip greens and mustard greens. However depending where you are that may be hard to get.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html It says occasionally however i'd go with rarely or none at all.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, kale isn't good as a staple green, collard, mustard, turnip, or dandelion are much better.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
I used kale for the longest time... thank God nothing happened(knock on wood). Now I give collards, carrots, butternut squash, the occasional banana slice, and the occasional apple slices. Also, AZ is really hot sometimes, I hope the superworms I ordered will come alive rather than baked to death.

By the way, when people say beardies are hardy lizards, they aren't kidding! When I first bought my now 5 and a half year old beardy, I gave him crickets a bunch, kale and carrots, and calcium, never did I give multivamin until now. Then, to make matters worse, after him becoming 2 or 3 years old, I suddenly had the *****ic thought that he didn't need protein so I stopped giving it to him until now. Lastly, I used reptile carpet for a while but then switched to walnut shells and recently sand. He's an incredibly accurate hunter when chasing crickets but I would still change his substrate to tile if I was allowed to. Unfortunately, due to my current circumstances, I'm not allowed to make the switch. Fortunately, in every other aspect besides bedding, I have since much improved and give him supers, crickets, the occasional waxworms, calcium, herptivite multivitamin, plenty of collards, carrots, and other foods, and bi-weekly baths(and of course a decent uvb bulb and basking light).

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You could always throw the sand out and use paper towels in the mean time to avoid anything risky.
Most beardies are hardy....however it all depends on genetics (most likely), if you have a beardie with weak genetics yet very healthy when you get it, doing certain things wrong can make one quickly become sick. While a beardie with very good, strong genetics can be more hardy and forgiving to certain wrong things.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That is actually misinformation that kale has a of of oxalates. Here's the study that was done :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjm24Cih8HYAhWJKyYKHZl2BigQFggsMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.medill.northwestern.edu%2Fchicago%2Fkale-sheds-bum-rap-on-kidney-stones%2F&usg=AOvVaw2o3jzfy8zjKaGQLVpUqZeP

Kale is very healthy and can definitely be fed as part of the diet along wit other good greens like turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, arugula, endive.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Kale is actually one of the least offensive dark leafy greens when it comes to oxalates. The beautiful dragons chart is pretty misleading when it comes to oxalates, really. These plants are all closely related and all have potential to have more or less calcium than expected based on growing conditions. Your best bet is to keep a fair bit of variety including items that are not leafy greens, like butternut squash.

By and large ONLY spinach and chard have effectively no calcium. Even then it is safe to fed those in moderation in an otherwise calcium rich diet.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
I just recently bought BABY KALE at Target to try to alternate with the butternut/zucchini squash I give my beardie for veg. Should that be Ok in moderation? After reading all the posts here I find the responses are mixed.

I almost bought the spring mix, but as they said romaine could be mixed in with the other ingredients in the spring mix. And since I couldn't tell which ones are the beet top greens and such I didn't want to chance it so as not to waste them.

Also off topic the canned freeze dried crickets aren't going over as well as I'd thought either...But as I mentioned in another topic my beardie has no interest chasing after live crickets.

But thoughts on the BABY KALE leaves please.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Baby kale is fine to add to a salad. Just offer as much variety as you can and rotate items into the salad based on what looks best/freshest at the store.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It’s fine :)

Personally I use spring mix and kale (baby, green, red, lactino, curly....) with no concern, even most lettuce isn’t “bad” it’s just a problem if that’s the main part of the diet. I use a high quality multivitamin designed for herbivores (repashy super veg) in my salads to makeup for deficiencies.

People make a big deal out of oxalates because they can limit available calcium. This is only a problem if the diet doesn’t have enough calcium to balance it out. Some greens, like spinach and chard, will almost never have enough calcium. I say almost never because there is a huge range of “nutritional content” in food. Food labels are really just an estimate - with things like plants especially growing conditions, season, soil type, type of fertilizer used, weather and so on can effect nutrient content a lot.

Just like human diets your going to have more problems eating too little variety whether those things are “good” for you or “bad” for you. Somethings will just be a problem faster than others. Very few things are straight up bad - like avocado or rhubarb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom