When to switch to feeding once a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

My guy is 5.5 months old and not a big fan of salads. Right now his lights come on at 9am and I feed him bugs at 10am. I then offer a salad in early afternoon and leave it in there until a bug dinner, which is at 6:30pm. His lights then go off at 9pm. He will pick at his salad, a bite or two, every once in a while, but so far he's not eating salad much. I'm hoping this will change soon! But I'm wondering at what point you should switch them to eating a meal once a day? I know adults eat about once a day, but I know my guy is still growing, so I'm assuming I shouldn't cut him back yet. Any suggestions on when and how I should do this?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
For a general feeding according to age i usually do this
1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs every feeding, 4-12 months 2 times a day with 10-20 bugs every feeding, 12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs every feeding, and then 20+ months is every other day or 2-3 times a week 10-20 bugs every feeding.
At this age i wouldnt worry about if hes eating a lot of salads or not, though still offer it.

KLB85

Original Poster
That is so helpful thank you so much! I'm also relieved that you said I don't have to worry too much about him not being that interested in salads yet, because it's been stressing me out lol! I will definitely keep offering it to him daily though! One question though, I've just fed him unitl he refuses more food because I thought he needs the protein to grow. Sometimes he eats more than your recommendation per feeding and sometimes within your numbers. Is that ok?

KLB85

Original Poster
Also when you put them down to one feeding a day, would you typically feed them in the morning or later? When I get him down to 1 bug feeding per day, I could still offer him salads at a different time of the day to curb his hunger right?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Thats entirely fine to feed him more than that or right around there, half the time i just throw a random amount of crickets into my juveniles tank in the morning. Thats just usually the average amount in my opinion.

Personally i feed my adults around 3 or 4 and since im home schooled sometimes around 12 pm. As for the salads just offer it when you want, some days i offer it in the morning and others in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom