Help: Mother wants to feed young Bearded live mealworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

themanknownas

My mother bought 50 live mealworms to feed to my Bearded Dragon who is less than a year old. I tried to tell her it could be dangerous and she doesn't listen. Help my lizard stay healthy! Her reason is that the pet store didn't warn her about how it could be dangerous.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What size is the dragon? They can be harmful if a lot of them are eaten at once or if the dragon is too small. I would suggest saving them and instead offering a softer, healthier option like black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms).

themanknownas

Original Poster
CooperDragon":iy37o26o said:
What size is the dragon? They can be harmful if a lot of them are eaten at once or if the dragon is too small. I would suggest saving them and instead offering a softer, healthier option like black soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms).

His body is about 5 1/2 to 6 inches (or 14 cm to about 15 cm), tail and body about 13 1/2 to 14 inches (or 34 cm to about 35.5 cm)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nose to tail 14'' is a decent size. Impaction probably isn't a huge risk anymore but I still wouldn't offer more than a few at a time. They aren't all that nutritious though so offering something like the black soldier fly larvae or silk worms would be a better option.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, it shouldn't be a problem. For over 5 years I kept a colony of mealworms and fed to my beardies that were over 12" long as part of their diet, with the main feeder insect being crickets. I never had one impaction [ and this was with LOTS of dragons ] so the great fear of mealworms is way over exaggerated. If your dragon is healthy, has other bugs to eat besides just mealworms and the proper temp. in the tank for digestion then mealies can be given a few times a week, not in large numbers but they should not be a problem at all.

Don't throw them out, you can keep a colony of them and use them in small numbers [ 7-10 at a time is about what I used ] and let some of them pupate + breed them so you can have a small supply of them for times when other insects are running low.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If she is about 12 months old, mealworms are fine for a treat (no more than 6 - 8 in session).
I find the pupae are very desireable treats for all my skinks & dragons, and my dragons love the crunchy mealworm beetles as treats too (can chew up 8 - 10 in a sitting).

Mealworms & superworms are ONLY SUITABLE to give a dragon as occasional treats. My gang will sometimes hold out for their mealworms (espec the pupae) and their superworms but I only give the bluetongues and dragons these a few times a week at most.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":1b6bq9cn said:
Nose to tail 14'' is a decent size. Impaction probably isn't a huge risk anymore but I still wouldn't offer more than a few at a time. They aren't all that nutritious though so offering something like the black soldier fly larvae or silk worms would be a better option.

I concur , tell her to buy silkworms or BSF lavae next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom