May run out of crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlinp99

Hi. I had to buy more 3rd crickets today from a pet store as 2 out of the 3 boxes of crickets I had at home, were mostly all dead. The new crickets I bought are also mostly all dead and were the ones with the most living crickets in them at the store. I also bought a box of hoppers.
I just went to feed her with a new tub and there are only about 5 living ones left. If I run out as the crickets in the other boxes are mostly dead, will she be okay until Friday when the new ones come in? She is almost 7 months old and eats all her salad everyday.
Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Pet shops are very bad in this department, they simply don't look after the feeder insects , many don't even bother to put a bit of carrot in each tub to give the crickets a source of hydration, result is sick and dead crickets and crickets eating each other , and infestations of the tubs with wasps and flies.
I often walked out of a pet shop in disgust at the state of the crickets they had on the shelves, and left empty handed to go elsewhere to get my supply of live crickets. And my wife brought home the crickets when she went to do the grocery shop for week and often several even most the tubs of crickets were putrid when I lifted the lid - and some tubs that should have 50-60 1/3 size crickets in then were lucky if there were 5 living crickets in them !!!
Inspect the tubs before you give then salesperson the $ , you don't need to lift the lid, just give the tubs each a good shake and then watch how many lively crickets run about.
If you cant see any carrot slices in the tub, or cant see enough live crickets in it, walk away.

What I did when I only had one pet lizard or just a couple of pet lizards was find out what day the nearest pet shop took bulk deliveries of the insects I was using , and I'd call the staff who I developed a relationship with , and I'd ask if the delivery had arrived , and if it had I asked they set aside and I'd be there soon after (that day) buy the 10 - 12 tubs of crickets I needed for that fortnight.

This way I got the best quality I could from the shop and rarely got a bad batch of crickets.

I now rarely buy crickets from pet shops , I order in my crickets in batches of 700 - 1000 by mailorder every 2-3 weeks.

If you dragon is very young, I suggest NOT having any period when you have no live insects to feed her longer than 24 hours.
I'd have a packet Repashi GrubPie on hand as an emergency backup protein source for these times.

Caitlinp99

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1zuday9g said:
Pet shops are very bad in this department, they simply don't look after the feeder insects , many don't even bother to put a bit of carrot in each tub to give the crickets a source of hydration, result is sick and dead crickets and crickets eating each other , and infestations of the tubs with wasps and flies.
I often walked out of a pet shop in disgust at the state of the crickets they had on the shelves, and left empty handed to go elsewhere to get my supply of live crickets. And my wife brought home the crickets when she went to do the grocery shop for week and often several even most the tubs of crickets were putrid when I lifted the lid - and some tubs that should have 50-60 1/3 size crickets in then were lucky if there were 5 living crickets in them !!!
Inspect the tubs before you give then salesperson the $ , you don't need to lift the lid, just give the tubs each a good shake and then watch how many lively crickets run about.
If you cant see any carrot slices in the tub, or cant see enough live crickets in it, walk away.

What I did when I only had one pet lizard or just a couple of pet lizards was find out what day the nearest pet shop took bulk deliveries of the insects I was using , and I'd call the staff who I developed a relationship with , and I'd ask if the delivery had arrived , and if it had I asked they set aside and I'd be there soon after (that day) buy the 10 - 12 tubs of crickets I needed for that fortnight.

This way I got the best quality I could from the shop and rarely got a bad batch of crickets.

I now rarely buy crickets from pet shops , I order in my crickets in batches of 700 - 1000 by mailorder every 2-3 weeks.

If you dragon is very young, I suggest NOT having any period when you have no live insects to feed her longer than 24 hours.
I'd have a packet Repashi GrubPie on hand as an emergency backup protein source for these times.

Thanks for your answer! She's almost 7 months so I don't think it would harm her too much if she went a day without, but hopefully this won't happen!
This was their delivery day which is shocking since every tub was full of dead crickets. I think the cold is killing them off when they're being delivered, the manager told me that they have to warm them up when they come in to bring some life into them. They keep 3 tubs aside for me every Friday and that covers me for the whole week, they're usually very good.
I fed the crickets as soon as I brought them in so hopefully the living ones will actually stay alive! It's a bit annoying that a pet store that sells rabbits, so will have plenty of salad on hand, can't put anything in for them. They sell them at a reduced price when they're nearly all dead, but I still paid full price as they had been delivered within the hour I had gotten them. But what use are dead insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom