How long before I should worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pferrell

I got my first baby bearded dragon three days ago. Since then he has eaten about four or five small dubia roaches total. I have a reptisun 10.0 uvb and his basking rock ranges from 105 to 117. He doesn't seem to be at all interested In eating. I know that relocation stress can cause this, I was just wondering at what time period should I start to worry.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Basking 105, maybe 110. 117 is way too hot for them. Try to give him some water with a plastic eye dropper, he may be dehydrated. Are you using a digital probe thermometer ? If not the dial ones can be off as much as 20 degrees F.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You will need to provide info about the tank, lights, etc. some pictures, would help. Small tanks 10-20 gallons are hard to regulate.

pferrell

Original Poster
The tank is a 20 long. I measure the temp with a lazergrip thermometer. I have a 50 watt basking bulb and a basking rock about eight inches below it. It's a good size rock and gets to 117 at the back of it, but the majority of the rock is around 105-107. I leave mustard greens before I leave for work and he seems to mess with those a little but not much. He ate three dubia roaches Saturday and two Sunday but none today. Should I try crickets?

apndi

I would definitely adjust the lighting so there’s no 117 degree spot. A lot of it could be relocation stress. For the first few days that I had my beardie he barely ate a thing, and it took a few weeks for him to fully settle in and start eating what he should be eating. Adjust the lighting and keep offering live insects. You can try crickets if you want, maybe he’s picky and the crickets will entice him to eat more.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NO HOTTER AT ANY TIME than 42-43 degC ANYWHERE in the tank EVER.

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

Make sure the 10%UVB tube is positioned so there are no screens or mesh between it and the basking spot.
Is the 10%UVB tube a T8 or a T5HO tube ? This is very important.
Try to aim for 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot and 100 microW UVB / sq.cm elsewhere, see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Also aim for about 15hr of heat, white light and UV per day.

For a baby / hatchling beardie - it's much more important that he get's his fill of high quality dusted (with calcium) insects at least twice per day ( 3x per day is better ), offer the live insects a few at a time and keep offering them til he looses interest ==> he is full !
Offer shredded high calcium greens daily , but if he doesn't show any interest - no biggy - gut load the roaches or crickets or locusts with the uneaten greens and he'll get them that way.

pferrell

Original Poster
Thank you for the responses. I've been able to get the basking spot to 109. The 10.0 tube is a T8. This morning I got him/her to eat seven or eight calcium dusted dubias so I'm feeling a little better

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good basking temp. How far is your T8 from the basking spot? They work best at around 6-8''. Closer to 6 if you have it set on a mesh top. Does your fixture have any clear plastic in front of the bulb? If so it will need to be removed because that will intercept the UVB. At 3 days with your current setup it's likely to be relocation stress as you mentioned. The suggestions we are giving are just fine tuning to make sure everything is just right from the beginning =)

pferrell

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips. I have the uvb mounted inside the tank with no plastic cover about 6" above. I would have posted pics but couldn't figure out how. I'm probably just being paranoid.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks really nice. The double dome is fine. You could put a CHE or MegaRay heat projector in the second socket to use on cold nights if the temps drop below 65. Otherwise leaving it empty is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom