Feeding during brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Campus25

Hi this is my beardies first time going through brumation and I’m not quite sure how to handle his feeding. Normally I’ll offer him about 20 crickets everyday or other every other day. And always have fresh veggies and salad available for him. Should I just cut the crickets all together while he goes through this phase and stick to salads and maybe some freeze dried crickets? First timer over here so I appreciate the feedback

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
First time I've seen it firsthand too. They go into different levels of brumation so I'd try and gauge what he seems to want. If he's really sleepy most of the time I'd just leave him alone. Take him out maybe once a week or if he perks up a bit and weigh him and offer some water. I've offered salad and occasional roaches but my guy doesn't show much interest. His metabolism is clearly way down from normal which is fine. I try to make food and water available if he wants it but he pretty much ignores it. He will drink some drips of water from his nose though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Careful with feeding a cold brumating lizard, it wont have sufficient metabolic rate to handle the food and wont be warm enough to properly digest the food. Essentially the food will simply rest in the G.I.T. and rot = VERY BAD.

If it's feeding , even a little , IMO it's not in true brumation and I'd be ramping the temperatures and photoperiod back up to keep it warm and active and awake.

None of my skinks or dragon have ever brumated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom