How many silk worms to feed Rankins Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackheartsquid

Hi everyone :)

I've had my first ever rankins dragon for about 5 months now, he is about 6 months old I'm pretty sure and roughly 15/20cm head to tail. I've been feeding him crickets regularly, along with vegies and mealworms as a treat. I've been wanting to start feeding him silk worms as I've heard they can have them daily? Would be significantly easier than crickets and they continue to escape from their home :?

I was wondering if I could feed him silk worms instead of crickets, how many and how often?

Thanks in advance for your help! I'm still learning but doing my best haha :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah they're a good feeder. They can get expensive though so it might be a good idea to buy some eggs and hatch them in batches. He can eat as many as he wants just like with the crickets. Just offer them for 10 min or until he loses interest. I use them as a treat in addition to roaches as a staple and my guy loves them. He isn't a Rankins but I'd imagine their appetites/tastes would be similar.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Silkworms are fabulous feeder insects .

I give my beardie and bluetongues a couple of silkworms each day + some crickets.

I am generally self sufficient on silkworm, harvesting my own eggs and refrigerating the eggs until need more worms and only need to buy fresh mulberry leaves (IMO fresh leaves are much better than nuked silkworm chow). I might buy one or two batches of medium or mixed size silkworms per year, and that set me back up if I run out eggs.
Each female silkworm moth will lay 400 eggs.

I'm into my 8th batch silkworms from eggs since June. And will the recent unexpected and sudden death of my 2 yr old boy Toothless I now find myself with too many silkworms, my current silkworms batch are now too big for my latest rescue (Fluffy the Water Skink) and the 9th batch eggs will be hatching in a week to two..

You can indeed feed silkworms only if you have enough of them.

I started Rex and Puff , then Peppa & Toothless of as hatchlings on a mix of crickets and silkworms each day.
Weighed the insects to get equivalents :
silkworms_equivs_to_crickets.png

So a nice fat gutloaded medium (1/3 size) weighs 0.23g to 0.26g.
A 30mm long silkworm weighs 0.52g.
A 40mm long silkworm weighs 1.33g
A 50mm long silkworm weighs 1.8g
A large silkworm (about 3 inches long) weighs 2.3-2.5g.

The sums are easy to work out the equiv number of crickets to each of the above sized silkworms.

I suggest a mix of silkworms and crickets.
A your dragon's age he is going to still be on two live insect meals per day , so one meal of crickets , one of silkworms would be very good diet.

The moths are great treats for the lizards too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom