Feeding salads in a tough situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourmaline

I'm in a situation where I'm all out of bug meals for both of my beardies. My car's engine blew very unexpectedly, there's no buses or trains around here. I managed to get a friend to pick up 100 small crickets for my baby beardie (not sure of age, 10 1/2 inches), and 30 for my older 7-8 month old. My older boy ate all of them in one night, I still have a bit for the baby but not enough to keep him full over a week.

Soon as my car broke down, I ordered 2000 large BSL for both of them, 1000 medium crickets for the baby, and 1000 large crickets for the older one. It'll be about a week and change before they get here, though.

Both of them will willingly eat greens/fruit/veggies. Would I be able to skimp a bit on the bugs and stretch them a week with salads for the baby until the shipments of bugs get here? I have way too much collard greens, some blueberry, acorn squash, and yams to give them. Would it hurt my older guy to go a week without bugs? I usually stock up once a week, and the day my car broke down was the day I was going to go bug shopping.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
While not desirable, a week without insects won’t cause long-term harm to a beardie. The younger a dragon is, the higher the insect load should be, and your guys definitely need their protein. I’ve been in a similar situation (ordered two weeks worth of insects online and USPS misdelivered it and took their sweet time fixing the error and getting the package back to me). After experiencing that stress I now keep a jar of Repashy’s Grub Pie in my cupboard so that I always have something to bridge the gap if something like that occurs. It’s got BSFL as the main ingredient and my guys actually seemed pretty enthused for it on the occasions I’ve given it to them. Would your friend be able to make a run and grab Grub Pie or Repcal pellets (or another commercial food) to help you balance your beardies’ diet until the live food arrives? If not I’d consult the Beautiful Dragons nutrition chart and look up what veggies have the highest protein content. So ultimately, if there’s any way to get insects or a commercial pellet product (which I don’t recommend making a habit of but it can help in a pinch) into your lizards this week, I’d do it. If it’s not possible, then they won’t be happy campers but they’ll survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom