Need help with my picky beardie !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got my first beardie about a week ago and oh boy what a ride it has been. Every little thing that I think is wrong I have to google or ask on this forum, I’m sure there’s a lot of people sick of me by this point ?. Anyway I have a somewhat picky beardie. He’s 3 years old and I think he’s been fed mostly dubias for the majority of his life because he doesn’t really like his veggies. I use collard greens, chopped up bell peppers, and carrots and he won’t touch it!! Maybe sometimes nip at it and get a piece of green in his mouth but will never finish it. I’ve been feeding him super worms daily since I got him since I don’t want him to starve. I give him anywhere from 6-10 a day sometimes less to provoke him to eat his greens but he’s not having it. Is it okay to give him super worms for a while ? And if so how many? I do dust them with calcium and even have tried mixing it with his salad but he’ll individually pick out the worms. Do I just put a bunch in front of him and let him do his work until he stops? Do beardies even sense when they’re full? Also he sits with his mouth open a lot could that mean he’s hungry? The temps are right so I don’t think it’s him ventilating since he’s doing it quite often.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Sitting with their mouth open doesnt mean they're hungry, even when its 95 on my basking spots mine will sit there with their mouth open even after they eat. Though they dont do it 24/7.
I'd stop feeding super worms entirely and if you do you should only be offering 2 each feeding because of how bad they are. I suggest getting crickets and dubia roaches for him instead along with calciworms. At that age i'd only feed him bugs three times a week at least and just offer salad every day. Also what you could do is that when hes chewing on a bug you could slip a leaf into his mouth so he eats that as well. I sometimes do that with my picky beardie, she likes greens but prefers bugs way more.

Heroicchip

Original Poster
Oh I had no clue superworms are bad. Could you explain why? Also I’ve tried doing that with him and he just spits it out ? smart lil guy... I think I’ll try different greens.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
They're usually hard to digest and really fatty and quite addictive for beardies which could possibly be why he doesnt want to eat greens, also maybe try offering greens first and hold the insects from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom