Need help thickening up my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon (star) is I'd say almost a year old. She is a bit under weight for her size and I need some feeders that will help her gain back her weight because she started not eating that much except dry meal worms and maybe some bell peppers. I know she is too skinny because when I first picked her up after getting her from pet supplies plus she felt full like she ate 100 crickets and didn't look like she does now, she is always bright although she is mean and would shake and act like she'll bite you if you tried to pick her up and sometimes a sweet heart just to let you take her out and try to escape. I think she isn't use to us and we got her in like August! :?: :?: :?: :?: I gave her some food and she ate almost all of it. Only the dry mealworms and some other dried insect I'll have to read the pack to see what it is. Thank you lots!!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Stop the dry mealworms. Try some silk worms, dubia, Phoenix worms. Try a nice salad with collard, mustard greens, squash, dandelion greens.

iBlueluvsBeardies

Original Poster
destiny1998":14dz0n0y said:
Hi. Stop the dry mealworms. Try some silk worms, dubia, Phoenix worms. Try a nice salad with collard, mustard greens, squash, dandelion greens.

I do give her greens listed there and I won't do dubia. But ill try the other insects you put there. Thank you

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
When trying to plump up an underweight beardie it’s tempting to go the high fat route (wax worms, super worms) but this method creates its own host of issues (fatty liver disease, a beardie that later shuns healthier options because he’s holding out for the buggie Big Macs and ice cream he’s now addicted to). Dubia roaches are a healthy high protein option, and silkworms are another great choice for fattening up a beardie without compromising his health. Phoenix worms, while sometimes not the most economical choice because it can take quite a few of these tiny bugs to fill up a beardie, seem to be universally beloved by most dragons and their high calcium content is a great bonus. Mealworms are higher in fat, tougher to digest, and any freeze dried insects lack the moisture beardies need to aid in hydration. There are so many great feeder options out there so I’d A. Avoid freeze dried bugs and B. Check out the Beautiful Dragons nutrition chart for a breakdown of why certain insects are a better choice than others.Variety is key to keeping his appetite stimulated so mix it up and he’ll reward you with an increased appetite and increased (but healthily acquired) girth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom