Squash...... Cooked, or raw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, it seems just as I’m getting fairly confident in my ability to care for my beardie, I see a post that reminds me that I still suck. I read that squash should be cooked, and I can understand why! It’s very hard and I would think it may be hard to chew/digest, so, I cooked up some butternut squash for my baby. Fast forward about two days, and I get a reply to a comment I made about cooking squash, and the comment read ; “Cooked squash is hard to swallow. My dragon got some stuck in his throat and the vet had to remove it.”............ aw ffs!? So, is she right? Should I feed it to him raw? Or, is cooked better?
91661-6738755153.jpg

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
There’s no need to cook if you shred the squash very finely with either a carrot or cheese grater. A large block of squash is a choking hazard whether cooked or raw, but like most veggies, as long as it’s prepared thin and bite sized your dragon will be fine. ☺️

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Raw is much better, more nutrition! As soon as it's cooked, lose the nutrition value. I use a veggie spiralizer for the squash and my beardie loves it as it looks like worms :D You can get the handheld ones cheap at Walmart, target, pretty much anywhere. I saw some even at Ross and TJMaxx stores for even cheaper price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom