Crickets aren't appetizing her :v halp pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

So I've noticed how when I go to feed my 4 month old Beardie, she ignores her food entirely.
I feed her dusted (and gut loaded) crickets - In a bucket tall enough for her to fit comfortably and not have crickets jumping everywhere.
But she wont eat them. She ate a bit yesterday - along with the last of my dubias. I figured if shes hungry she will eat - but I cannot leave her in the bucket all day! (poor thing) Whenever shes stressed i take her out and let her in her tank - then try again later.
But even when i grab them with the tweesers and like move them in front of her - its like she doesnt see them. I know shes not blind because shes always alert.

Do you guys know of any tricks to get her to like them again?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You could put the crickets in the tank, i know sometimes my juvenile beardie wont even look at crickets if i try to hand feed her yet if i put them in the tank she'll eat them perfectly fine. Mostly just sit on her basking spot and wait for them to climb up.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
They are extremely picky eaters. When I got my baby from Petsmart, all I fed her was crickets and she was fine as she was growing up she started to slow down so I got her dubias. She loves them now and barely will even touch a cricket :lol: It is like pulling teeth and most of the time I have to pick them up and manually feed her because she is not interested. You could offer some different feeders or perhaps she just not her thing, wait a while before feeding crickets maybe in a month or so? Get her mind off of it and then try to re-introduce again. Sometimes if they haven't had in awhile they might perk up. I just know mine hates them. I even tried different options like that cricket feeder rock where you put them in dust them and then crickets will come out. Not sure if you tried that but its worth a shot for your beardie. If not, keep trying some different techniques or feeders :D Also, might want to invest making a dubia colony if she just like roaches a lot. It would rather get quite expensive.

MorganaTheSatyr

Original Poster
Reptilelady":vt4tagd3 said:
Hi,
They are extremely picky eaters. When I got my baby from Petsmart, all I fed her was crickets and she was fine as she was growing up she started to slow down so I got her dubias. She loves them now and barely will even touch a cricket :lol: It is like pulling teeth and most of the time I have to pick them up and manually feed her because she is not interested. You could offer some different feeders or perhaps she just not her thing, wait a while before feeding crickets maybe in a month or so? Get her mind off of it and then try to re-introduce again. Sometimes if they haven't had in awhile they might perk up. I just know mine hates them. I even tried different options like that cricket feeder rock where you put them in dust them and then crickets will come out. Not sure if you tried that but its worth a shot for your beardie. If not, keep trying some different techniques or feeders :D Also, might want to invest making a dubia colony if she just like roaches a lot. It would rather get quite expensive.

I tried the dubia colony but its a bit too expensive for me at the moment. I have not heard of the cricket feeder rock - but if that will be in her tank and release them periodically i think its not so good because they would crawl in the nooks and crannies and shed never eat xD
The thing that I noticed is that if I were to leave her in the bucket and I would be there - shed spend all the time staring at me and not at the food. I have honestly no idea what this means.

When she grows up a little more I'm hoping she would love super worms - but shes still too small for those.

Also, I assist feed her her veggies - else she wont touch them. Is there a way to assist feed the crickets?

(I ended up giving her around 10 dead one in her food bowl and she ate most of em. so I guess she just needs to get used to them again?)

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I dont recommend feeding superworms at all unless you only give 2 or so at max each feeding. It'll probably make her not want to eat anything else but that. My two older beardies had some superworms when they were younger and they wouldnt eat anything but that until a few months ago when i completely stopped feeding them it. It took a week or so before they finally started eating crickets again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom