Over Feeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! So my boyfriend and I have had our baby Crunch for about two months now, he's about 4 months old we think (10 inches long last we measured). I'll add this basic information in case anyone asks, because they normally do:
He lives in a 55 gallon tank. His bulb is a 10.0 UVB Repti-Sun and uses a basic heating bulb (can't remember the brand). During the day, the temperature is in the 100s F and at night he has a heating mat (with reptile carpet over it of course so he doesn't get burnt) and is usually around 70-80 F. We give him normal Calcium, without D3 (I've read they just produce D3 on their own with UVB).

So my question is, is it possible to over feed a baby beardie? When we first got him, he would only eat 10 crickets a day, if that. Now we always offer greens before a feeding and he can eat anywhere from 15-30 large crickets per sitting (I know large crickets aren't supposed to be great for juveniles because of the choking hazard but we watch him and he chews them up just fine before swallowing). Because of how much he can eat a day (I'm gonna average about 30-40 crickets per day maybe) it's caused him to get quite a gut.

My boyfriend thinks he's eating too much and needs to be cut back to feeding him once a day, but I think it's normal for him to be eating this much since he's still a growing boy.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At that age I'd keep offering two meals per day. They need a lot of protein to support growth spurts. They usually grow into the guts pretty quickly. As they approach full size at around a year old (16-24'' long, usually 400-600(ish) grams) you'll want to roll back to once a day then eventually once or twice a week on the bugs and offer salad daily. Their primary diet as adults should be a wide variety of vegetables/greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom