Adult Beardie suddenly not eating veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgneelsTamer

Hey all, I appreciate anyone that is taking the time to read this.

Igneel has recently turned 2 yrs old. This past year, I was able to switch him off mealworms onto veggies. For quite a while, he had no issues eating the veggies. I then left my country for about 10 days, leaving him in the care of a family member (and gave instructions for feeding & cleaning).

It's been about a month now and Igneels' veggie intake has dropped. I started noticing this a couple of weeks ago. He will not go anywhere near them. Not even remotely interested. Last Friday, I gave him some crickets for protein and that's the only thing he's eaten recently.

Pertinent Information:
- I am located in Northwestern Ontario and the cold temperatures have hit my town.
- Tank temperature is at 90 degrees, but that's with the heat strip. I'm currently waiting for my atomic clock temperature gauge to see if the temperature matches up.
- It's entirely possible that he's in brumation mode right now and I'm just over worried.
- For veggies, I am using mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn, green beans).
- This past month, I had to replace the UV bulb, so I'm not sure if I maybe picked up the wrong one.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has he been losing weight (I suggest tracking this if you aren't)? Has he been acting sleepy/lethargic? If he is sleepy and isn't losing weight then it could be brumation. That would explain the lack of appetite (they slow their metabolism). If he is losing a lot of weight then something else might be going on. Which UVB light did you order?

IgneelsTamer

Original Poster
Has he been losing weight

Not that I've noticed. He still feels like he weighs the same. To be honest, I've never kept track of his weight (but I have kept track of his length). Based on how he feels in my hand, I'd say his weight is still the same. I don't really have a scale that I can use to keep track of it sadly.

Has he been acting sleepy/lethargic?

If he's not on his rock, then his head is usually perked up (kind of like now, he's laying at the bottom of the tank with his head angled up. I will say that he's perked up more since I was able to get the proper wattage for his heat lamp.

Which UVB light did you order?

I'm honestly not sure. I think it's an "All Living Things" UV bulb. Length wise of the bulb is about 5-6 inches, which was shorter than the previous one.

OH! I should mention, the day after I left for my trip, the original UV bulb broke, so he had 9 days of no UV (outside of whatever sunlight he gets).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he's OK for now. All living things is Petco's brand that uses Zilla bulbs from what I've seen. At 5-6'' it's a compact/coil bulb rather than a straight tube? Do you know if it's 13w or 26w? That could cause problems in the long run if it isn't powerful enough or isn't at the correct distance for the output.

marcelbombka

I went to the worms because he stopped eating his crickets and veggies. He would not eat for almost two weeks when I finally gave him worms for the first time. The vet here tries his best but could not find any problem. I will try roaches if they are better for him, but he is just acting strange, he stays on his cold side and only gets up to eat worms, hes kind of grouchy when you try to hold him too. This has been going on for a couple months. I thought he was possibly in brumation, but I don't know how long that lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom