Baby Beardie with little to no appetite :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Targ

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is off to a nice weekend. I posted the other day about my baby leather back in the behavior forum, I have an energetic little fireball!

So, her appetite has been very very very small for about two weeks now. When I first brought her home a month or two ago, she would hunt and devour every insect. Crickets, meal worms, and supers. I've since stopped the meal worms and supers as I've read about the impaction risks. Edit: I would also like to note that she does poop every day, although they seem to get smaller and smaller, hence my concern for possible malnutrition.

Anyway, her appetite is very poor. Our veggie staples are: collards, yellow squash, zuccini squash, green bell peppers, and sometimes some kale. I can never find mustard greens anywhere. Also her insect diet is vary wide. I got her a sampler pack for babies that include silk worms, phoenix worms, dubias, supers and wax worms. Horn worms too. I was hoping this variety would peak her appetite, but she barely touches anything. She snagged like two worms today, but I've offered her every insect in my arsenal.

We went to the vet last weekend because she was acting so crazy and wouldn't eat, and her poop was runny. She is worm and parasite free. She is so small that they couldn't draw blood, lol.

I feel pretty good about my tank set up and husbandry. I will try and attach some pics. Her temps are fine. Basking area is a solid 100-110, and she has her hammock and a basking rock both on the hot side. The cool side is in the 80s, there is a hide over there as well. Basking bulb is brand new as well.

This morning I caved and upgraded my UVB light from a 18" to a 24" inch. I upgraded her tank from 20 to 40 two weeks ago, but I am at my wits end. I have read that adults can sometimes eat only every few days, but this lil thing is a baby and should have quite the appetite. Let me know what you all think! Thank you all so very much.

95326-5212447769.jpg
95326-9617211213.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I think since this started when you switched to the 40 gal. tank thats what did it. She's small enough to have stayed in the 20 gal. for a couple of months. The change has caused new relocaton stress all over again + seems like an unfamiliar place. Misconceptions on the forums at times that babies should be put right in a 40 gal. tank, but often they become overwhelmed. Having raised 1,000's of babies I can tell you that they generally do better in a smaller [ 20 gal. ] at first. Once they reach 11-12" then transfer to a 40. It's also likely that she is just eating her favorite worms right now which can be very filling. She should settle in soon though.

BTW, what uvb bulb are you using, is it a t5 or t8 ?

Targ

Original Poster
Thanks for you reply!! It is a T5. I just got it yesterday. I read that the T 10 or whatever bulb is preferable, but that the T5 would do for now. When the T5 dies, I will get a 10 bulb.

Hmm I will try and move her back to a 20 gal and see if that helps her any. I initially changed tank set ups because she was GLASS SURFING LIKE A CRAZY LIZARD - lol! Talked to the breeder and he mentioned a bigger tank might help her. Well, she is still glass surfing like a crazy lady AND her appetite is so small. I put a dish of a bunch of insects in there for her this am, she only wanted two little bitty dubias and nothing else. I'll give this a try! Thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your set up is pretty good, I would suggest a nice tall basking stick or log. You can actually collect one from outside [ nothing with sap ] and pop it in a preheated oven at 250 for 30-60 minutes depending on the branch thickness. Just be careful it' doesn't touch any of the heat elements.

As for the light, a Reptisun 10.0 comes in a t5 [ very thin bulb ] and a t8 . It's confusing to know about these bulbs so can you post a pic of the actual bulb, showing te writing on the end ? A t5 is stronger than a t8 , but they come in 10.0 and 5.0 strengths which makes it confusing. So post a pic + I can tell you if you have the stronger bulb.

Targ

Original Poster
Thanks again for reply. I've moved her to her smaller cage and had to do some serious adjustments, as her basking temp was like 120 out of nowhere! I moved her basking lamp much further away from her spot & am currently trying to stabilize her basking spot at 100-110. Here is her smaller set up, as well as the type of UV lighting I got yesterday. Her crazy hormonal glass surfing continues! Juveniles are tough! PS I am using a temp gun to read temps. Here is her smaller set up and UV:
95326-6789058745.jpg
95326-7486301679.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good for now, the log allows her to get up high for uvb. It will cause a little more stress for her again but she should get used to it soon.

Targ

Original Poster
Thanks again. I read that the bulb set up I got comes with a 5, but 10s are available. 5s are ok for now but when I need a new one, I'll get a 10.

She is still glass surfing, but it's much less intensive now. I'll offer her some buggies later tonight and see how it goes.

Any other advice for crazy babies with appetite issues who won't stop glass surfing? Lol, thank you again, you've been very kind to respond to a panicking parent!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Like I said, she'll probably settle in soon. With her activity level she sounds quite healthy, a real live wire. When you fed her 2 worms her last meal, what were they and what size ? Has she eaten any crickets since you started feeding her worms ? Because they do get spoiled quickly + some dragons will hold out for the yummier bugs.

Do you feed her in the tank or in a separate tub ? One thing you can try is to shake up about 3-4 crickets pretty hard in a jar so they are weak + slow [ with a pinch of calcium powder ] Then drop them right near her as they are wobbling slowly. That may work.

Be sure to offer hydration, too. Water dripped/sprayed on the snout once a day or every other day is good.

Targ":3ffce16e said:
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is off to a nice weekend. I posted the other day about my baby leather back in the behavior forum, I have an energetic little fireball!

So, her appetite has been very very very small for about two weeks now. When I first brought her home a month or two ago, she would hunt and devour every insect. Crickets, meal worms, and supers. I've since stopped the meal worms and supers as I've read about the impaction risks. Edit: I would also like to note that she does poop every day, although they seem to get smaller and smaller, hence my concern for possible malnutrition.

Anyway, her appetite is very poor. Our veggie staples are: collards, yellow squash, zuccini squash, green bell peppers, and sometimes some kale. I can never find mustard greens anywhere. Also her insect diet is vary wide. I got her a sampler pack for babies that include silk worms, phoenix worms, dubias, supers and wax worms. Horn worms too. I was hoping this variety would peak her appetite, but she barely touches anything. She snagged like two worms today, but I've offered her every insect in my arsenal.

We went to the vet last weekend because she was acting so crazy and wouldn't eat, and her poop was runny. She is worm and parasite free. She is so small that they couldn't draw blood, lol.

I feel pretty good about my tank set up and husbandry. I will try and attach some pics. Her temps are fine. Basking area is a solid 100-110, and she has her hammock and a basking rock both on the hot side. The cool side is in the 80s, there is a hide over there as well. Basking bulb is brand new as well.

This morning I caved and upgraded my UVB light from a 18" to a 24" inch. I upgraded her tank from 20 to 40 two weeks ago, but I am at my wits end. I have read that adults can sometimes eat only every few days, but this lil thing is a baby and should have quite the appetite. Let me know what you all think! Thank you all so very much.

95326-5212447769.jpg
95326-9617211213.jpg

Hey Targ! Congrats on the leatherback!!! You mentioned that your bearded dragon is a baby. She might not be eating because she can’t find her food. If you want to keep the larger tank, you could move her food bowls to her basking spot so she can find her food. Idaquate lighting is definitely important, so that’s great that you have that! How much are you bathing her? Baths are very important and should be done once or twice daily. I hope this helps!!! Good luck!

SGS

Targ

Original Poster
Thanks, every body! She had two dubias today so that is good :) Trying to get her started on horn worms and dubias as much as I can. I also have phoenix worms. I have supers and waxes, but I know they can be bad and am trying to cut those guys out.

She has been chill-er today back in her smaller cage (though she does miss that hammock, lol).

I admit I haven't given her a bath yet! Is there a guide to do so? It might be a challenge with how slippery she is when I can manage to get her out. I do sprinkle her with water just about every day. I dribble some on her nose and she laps it up. I also drip water down her back and such. She got in her water bowl and wiggled around yesterday, so maybe she would like a bath. Any tips for first time baths? Also, any tips for keeping her orally hydrated? How can I get her to drink out of a dropper?

I do not feed her in another container, although I do have a massive tub/tote that I could try and transfer her to for feeding times. Lol - sometimes I wound a cricket so that it is mega slow. I also have those little dishes that keep dubias and other little guys trapped. She sees them, just doesn't go for them. I will monitor her for the next few days in her old tank and see if she starts eating again.

I also read that some folks offer their beardies baby food, chicken flavor, to get them some protein. I grabbed a bottle tonight at the store and might offer her some of that tomorrow if she doesn't show any interest in buggies again.

I always try to put her dish of bugs right next to her, or as close as I can get. I also break her up salads throughout the day and place them right by her, on her log, lol. Delivery service!

Thank you all for the replies! She's been a handful since I got her, but I'm committed.

Hey Targ!
There are a couple ways to do a bath. With Autumn, I usually use a sink (making sure that nothing harmful has been sprayed on it). I fill it up to her touch her belly, turning on the faucet so it’s a steady drip. Beardies usually are more eager to drink when the water is moving. I always monitor her, and if the water gets to the point where it covers her back, I put my hand or something else in the sink that she can stand on. Sometimes, if I don’t want to do a full bath at that time, I’ll just turn on the faucet (making sure the water is warm, beachside beardies HATE cold water), and let it drip down her back. Another way you can do a bath is in the bathtub. To give their dragons excersise, I’ve read about people filling the tub up to the amount of water that requires the beardie to swim, but remember, if you do this method you must put something in there for the dragon to perch on. :) Another way you can do a bath is by taking a shallow dish and lining it with paper towels. Fill it with water, and you have a bath! I would not recommend a water bowl or such in her cage, as that will raise humidity and put her at the risk of lung cancer. Instead, I think bathing once or twice a day is sufficient! :D Whew that was long! I hope this helps!

SGS

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A bath is O.K if they like it and it only hydrates them if they drink. Coming from a dry, arid environment they would very rarely see standing water but would lap up morning dew. So if you see her lapping up drops on her snout, that is the way to give her oral hydration. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom