Young dragon, poor eating habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madmanmatrix

All right I’m to the point that I’m starting to worry about my little one. I’ve had him for two weeks now and I’m waiting for a response from the breeder to get an exact age but best guess is somewhere in the 6-8 week range. He weighs just 6 grams which is up 1 gram from last week and is 6 inches including tail. As for setup he is in a 23 gallon National Geographic vivarium with repticarpet he has an reptisun 10 uvb and one basking spot is 100 the other is 115-120 as it’s a dark gray surface. Lowest temperature in his enclosure is 75. I am really worried about my little guy at this point because he no longer has stress marks from relocation but for some reason still eats very little daily. I know it’s not impaction as he poops twice a day and his urate is white and I give him water via a dropper twice a day and a bath every other day. Today he had 4 micro superworms between three feeding sessions and I caught him eating one piece of collard before he then proceeded to poop in his veggies. His next weigh day is tomorrow to make sure he is not losing weight and Monday his calci worms arrive to try and spark his appetite. If anyone could tell me whether or not this amount of food is normal(which I don’t think it is hence the post) or what else I could try that would be greatly appreciated.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Possibly hes still getting used to his habitat, but usually around that age if im right they eat three to two times a day as many as they want in 10-15 minutes. By reptisun 10.0 do you mean compact/coil or the tube lights? and if the tube light is it t8 or t5? Other than superworms, which could be the cause as their hard to digest, especially on baby beardies at that age what else are you feeding at the moment?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, I agree superworms can cause impaction due to their hard shells. I would stick to crickets/dubias 1/4 inch size. If you can, upload a photo of your husbandry what it looks like so we can further guide you to see if there's any other changes :)

Madmanmatrix

Original Poster
It’s a reptisun 10 t8 18inch tube light. He’s actually scared of Dubai’s every time I put one in he runs and hides and jumps up his back wall. As for crickets he will go after them when they are in container that I dust them in but when I actually put them in he won’t go near them and just get massive stress marks till I take them out. The superworms are the only thing he will even consider eating. Other than that he gets fresh collards and mustard greens every day and some zoo med all natural food pellets are in there 24/7 not that he ever touches them. also when I get home and figure out images I’ll upload a few.

P.s This morning I was able to give him five crickets before he jumped on his basking spot and turned his head to the wall. (Usually what he does when he’s done)

Madmanmatrix

Original Poster
Just got home for his second feeding and he refused to eat although it does look like some of his greens are gone. He had one more feeding in about 4 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom