Stubborn salad eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
My beardie has a really good strong healthy appetite but ive been noticing some days he will only pick out certain salad offerings, one day only greens, next day only squash, etc. Is this okay? I know variety is best so i offer a mix of greens with veggies but he only seems to pick out certain ones. I also tried grinding up all the greens and veggies in a grinder but that failed :lol: Whenever i feed him roaches i try to put the roaches in the salad he ends up eating some of the salad that way and plus they like to hide so it catches my beardies attention. Just didnt know if eating one thing one day is good or okay :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
So long as he's eating some and is healthy, that's fine.

Beardies are like children, picky but they to be able seem to get what they need.

w8n4vacay

My beardie is picky too. Somedays mustard greens, some days kale, somedays crickets but ALWAYS hornworms. They are so expensive. I do try all the okay "daily" fruits but shes not much of a fruit eater. If I do not have hornworms some days she eats nothing. I know she likes variety though. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID. Because she is so picky I started hand feeding her, now shes spoiled. When I go out of town Im always afraid shes not eating because no one else will take the time to do this. Shes always fine when I get home. I have never heard of an animal starving themselves when there is a nice dish of food right in front of them. I wouldnt worry too much. Not every human eats the same amount either. I do know its costly to throw away the food. Also, my beardie does NOTHING all day. Hardly moves even when I take her outvof the cage. I dont see how she burns any calories!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I haven't fed him hornworms yet but i figured i will feed him those when or if he goes on hunger strike. I did once fed him a ton of butterworms which i will NEVER do again :lol: I gave him 15 and he didnt eat anything for like a day or so. Luckily, he was a baby so he could just burn it off quickly. As the beardie gets older seems like their metabolism slows down, I've noticing that my beardie isn't as active when he was a baby. Only times ive seen him really active is when he is going through a shed but most of the time he will just lay under the basking lamp maybe change his position but that's about it. How old is your beardie btw?

w8n4vacay

My beardie is 3. She too does nothing! I never noticed before but you are right..she is more active, only when i take her out, when she is shedding. SHE LOVES HER HAMMOCK. My sister-in-law makes them for her. Ive bought one before but the quality was horrible and so unsafe. It had actual hooks on it. I attach mine with the rubber, suction cups...much safer.
Im new on this phone thing, i will try to figure out how to post a pic of my lazy girl..i think shes a girl...havent figured it out eventhough ive researched it

w8n4vacay

Forgot to mention..so sorry to hear about your butterworm incident. I made the mistake with dried cranberries. I read they eat cranberries so i had bought dried salad cranberries for me. Gave them to her...BIG MISTAKE. She had red lips and got bloated. I immediately did the lukewarm bath and rubbed her belly downward. Thankfully in a couple hours she was better. Ive learned to google What They Cant Eat..rather than what they can.
They are soooo darn cute!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom