Is a Vitamin A supplement really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akire

The reptile shop where I got my baby Norbert seemed to be accurate with the info they gave me for the most part. I'm a bit concerned/confused about something though. They had me buy Repashy Vitamin A Plus along with Reptivite. I just realized after reading the back of the Reptivite that it has Vitamin A in it already.

Isn't that overkill? Not to mention dangerous since Vitamin A can be overdosed? They instructed me to dust his insects daily with Calcium D3 and the Reptivite, except for one day of the week. On that day I'm to use the Vitamin A supplement and very sparingly.

How often should my baby be getting Calcium D3 and the Reptivite? Should I return the Repashy Vitamin A Plus? Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Vitamin A deficiency is a problem too, and more prevalent since people got all worked up about supplements in the 90s and stopped using it.

Insects typically are poor sources of vitamin a unless they are carefuly gutloaded. Plants only contain pre-vitamin a compounds that may not be adequately converted in the body.

What forms is the vitamin a in both supplements?

What is the dosing schedule of the repashy? If I recall they have both carotenoid (plants) and retenoid (animal) vitamin a.

Personally I like the repashy all in one products, and with good T5 lights would use the lo-d formulations daily. I don't trust the witchcraft of mixing supplements at home.

Akire

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses! :)

Taterbug":10k68p30 said:
Vitamin A deficiency is a problem too, and more prevalent since people got all worked up about supplements in the 90s and stopped using it.

Insects typically are poor sources of vitamin a unless they are carefuly gutloaded. Plants only contain pre-vitamin a compounds that may not be adequately converted in the body.

What forms is the vitamin a in both supplements?

What is the dosing schedule of the repashy? If I recall they have both carotenoid (plants) and retenoid (animal) vitamin a.

Personally I like the repashy all in one products, and with good T5 lights would use the lo-d formulations daily. I don't trust the witchcraft of mixing supplements at home.

The Repashy contains Retinol and Beta Carotene. The Reptivite contains Vitamin A acetate.

I haven't actually used the Repashy yet since I figured I would be returning it. I've just been using the Calcium D3 and Reptivite. I'm thinking that I should just buy an all in one so I don't have to stress. I don't like having to mix supplements either. Especially since I'm a new beardie mom!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I routinely use Zoo Med Repti Calcium (the version without VitD3) to very lightly dust my insects daily
and
on weekends it's a 1:1 mix of Zoo Med Repti Calcium & Aristopet Repti-Vite, again very light dusting.

I keep a bottle of CalciVet in the fridge but it's for emergencies ONLY.

I prefer my pet lizards to get the vitamins mostly from the insects (who are gutloaded) or eat vitamin & calcium rich greens) or from their greens and veg. It's better this way.

Careful about overthinking it .... as with most things the best way is to apply the KISS method . Keep It Simple Stupid.... this I learnt a long time ago as a professional research scientist and engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom