Not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Florida, so a lot of you may know about the hurricane named Irma that came to pay a visit. I've read that bearded dragons can sense changes in the weather and react differently to it. My beardie hasn't eaten anything in about a week, therefore he's not getting and calcium or vitamin a from dusting his food. He's 1 this month and I'm starting to get worried because he's beginning to drop some weight. Any tips, tricks, or advice? Anything helps!

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Have you been weighing him to see just how much he is losing? Is he just not interested in eating anything anymore?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi, Could be a lot of factors... Stress for beardies will not eat. Also, does it look like your beardie is about to shed? Have you tried offering different bugs?

Jennocidexo

Original Poster
kyleena29":1p8oqcrb said:
Have you been weighing him to see just how much he is losing? Is he just not interested in eating anything anymore?

Yes I've been weighing him every couple days, because he brumated not too long ago, but never did I fully, so I was seeing if he was sustaining his weight and maybe just finishing off the process, but the numbers have been dropping.

Jennocidexo

Original Poster
Reptilelady":2dxmonuo said:
Hi, Could be a lot of factors... Stress for beardies will not eat. Also, does it look like your beardie is about to shed? Have you tried offering different bugs?

The ONLY thing he's been interested in for the last couple months has been superworms. He made the shift from crickets to veggies and then one day he just stopped eating veggies, & all he wanted was the superworms.
Now he won't eat anything :(

Savora

Hatchling Member
Can you give us a quick run-down of what his basking temps and cool-side temps are and what kind/brand of UVB light you're using (tube, coil, MVB, 10.0 or 12%)? Also, what substrate is he kept on? When was his last poop, and do you recall if it was runny or strongly smelly?

To keep up his nutrients, I suggest getting either Oxbow Critical Care or Fluker's Reptaboost (this is sold in my local PetCo in the reptile supplement section, so it might be at yours too) to syringe-feed or eyedropper-feed to him. Adding unsweetened apple juice or black cherry juice might make them taste better if he won't immediately lap them up. This will ensure he's getting calories and nutrients so he won't lose too much weight, and if he is impacted then it won't be adding to the problem.

I'm sorry about his stubbornness to eat. :( It's really worrying when they do that. Hopefully we can find out what's wrong and his appetite comes back.

Jennocidexo

Original Poster
Savora":1k67xhy2 said:
Can you give us a quick run-down of what his basking temps and cool-side temps are and what kind/brand of UVB light you're using (tube, coil, MVB, 10.0 or 12%)? Also, what substrate is he kept on? When was his last poop, and do you recall if it was runny or strongly smelly?

To keep up his nutrients, I suggest getting either Oxbow Critical Care or Fluker's Reptaboost (this is sold in my local PetCo in the reptile supplement section, so it might be at yours too) to syringe-feed or eyedropper-feed to him. Adding unsweetened apple juice or black cherry juice might make them taste better if he won't immediately lap them up. This will ensure he's getting calories and nutrients so he won't lose too much weight, and if he is impacted then it won't be adding to the problem.

I'm sorry about his stubbornness to eat. :( It's really worrying when they do that. Hopefully we can find out what's wrong and his appetite comes back.

Basking temp is 95-100 , cool side is usually around 76-78 degrees, & I use a reptisun 10.0 UVB. We use towels for the bottom of the tank and he hasn't been pooping often but when he does, they're normal. I actually already have the reptiboost formula, I've used it for him before. I also have probiotics to give him. Thank you! Worried, but prepared beardie mom lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom