Baby beardie hates greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's two months old. I usually give him his greens half an hr before feeding him roaches and feed him either mixed greens, green beans, or a fruit salad of strawberry and mango. I also sprinkle three wax worms on anything I offer him. Problem is he likes to pick out the worms and not eat the greens! I've tried mixing the greens or fruits into a smoothie and putting a small droplet for him to lick off his head but he just looks at me like 'what are you doing mom?' and ignores it. Is there any other method I could try?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is not uncommon for a young dragon. They need lots of protein to support growth spurts so they tend to prefer bugs which is OK as long as you're offering a good variety. Keep offering salads so they are a familiar food source. This will make the transition to mostly veges easier when he is fully grown. I would avoid waxworms aside from an occasional treat due to their high fat content. Better treat worms to offer are black soldier fly larvae or silk worms along with a staple of crickets or roaches.

w8n4vacay

My beardie LOVES cooked acorn squah. I just poke the squash and put in a pie plate and bake for about 40 mins. Cut in half when done, spoon and throw away seeds and scrape squash with spoon then mash with a fork and put in a container in the fridge. She prefers this to greens. Not much of a greens eater either. The only pain is that when you take the portion you need out of the fridge its cold. I figure they are supposed to eat everything at body temp so I hold the dish of it under her heat lamp for a few minutes until its room temp. Does not take long. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT OFFER IT TOO HOT. Try that and let me know. Just make sure you get all the seeds out.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gut load the insects with very high quality (high calcium) greens and he'll get those yucky greens and not even know he's getting them.

Keep offering greens daily, eventually he'll accidentially bite some when he nails an insect and he might discover he likes the taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom