Baby (about a month old) won't eat veggies please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my baby about two weeks ago. I was told he/she (I decided he bc I thought I saw his chin bulge a few times, I could be crazy lol) was only a month old but was eating greens so that's why the breeders were selling them. I cant for the life of me get him to eat veggies! I tried slicing little carrots thin, shredding them, cooking them, mashing them. Won't eat any lettuces. I left some on the side of his little water dish two different days for the day to see if he would nibble while I was gone and no luck. I got some baby food (all natural only ingredient is the fruit or veggie) he seemed to lick up a good amount of the mango but then the sweet potato or carrot one he turns his nose up at. I have tried leaving some on a baby spoon in there for him and he acts afraid of it. He loves the dubia roaches (small baby ones right now) that I dust in his vitamins for him. If he's not being bratty in the mornings before I leave for work he will eat about 3 roaches then when I get home throughout the night he will eat 4-6. I only put one in at a time because he starts to act afraid and run away from them if he's full. While talking about these roaches, what's the best way to keep them and can they eat the cricket gut loading cube things or should they have something else?

I haven't really handled him since he's so young and had an entirely new habitat to get used to. I put a cling wrap around his cage because he wouldn't stop glass surfing. He still does it but not as much. I'm not sure what else to do about it or if he's ready to start sitting with me and hanging out.

His temps are perfect (well I think so), 95 on hot side with the basking light, his slate rock gets up to about 105, cool side 80 with the uva/uvb tube bulb. I mist his glass walls and rock twice a day to keep his humidity up at around 30-40% and have a little water dish in there.

I think I gave enough information. I see on this website a lot of people having to ask these types of temp/tank questions before being able to help figure out solutions. As you can guess I am new to the dragon experience!Any help is appreciated and I can give more information if needed!

QueenHaydees

Original Poster
94268-4810898141.jpg
I also don't know how to post a picture on here but have a good one of the entire tank if someone can help me figure out how to post one.
94268-7433724552.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
QueenHaydees":21bx6fak said:
I also don't know how to post a picture on here but have a good one of the entire tank if someone can help me figure out how to post one.

3 ways to do that :
>> upload using XIMG button you see when editing posts
or and this is what I do
>> I upload to TinyPic as a 17in size fire and copy the [img .... /img] code into the post
or
>> I upload to Postimage.org as the largest size and copy the image file cope into the file using the Img button you see when editing files

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
QueenHaydees":3jtjqlji said:
I got my baby about two weeks ago. I was told he/she (I decided he bc I thought I saw his chin bulge a few times ( ?? that's a new one ?? ), I could be crazy lol) was only a month old but was eating greens so that's why the breeders were selling them. I cant for the life of me get him to eat veggies! I tried slicing little carrots thin, shredding them, cooking them, mashing them. Won't eat any lettuces. I left some on the side of his little water dish two different days for the day to see if he would nibble while I was gone and no luck. I got some baby food (all natural only ingredient is the fruit or veggie) he seemed to lick up a good amount of the mango but then the sweet potato or carrot one he turns his nose up at. I have tried leaving some on a baby spoon in there for him and he acts afraid of it. He loves the dubia roaches (small baby ones right now) that I dust in his vitamins for him. If he's not being bratty in the mornings before I leave for work he will eat about 3 roaches then when I get home throughout the night he will eat 4-6. I only put one in at a time because he starts to act afraid and run away from them if he's full. While talking about these roaches, what's the best way to keep them and can they eat the cricket gut loading cube things or should they have something else?

I haven't really handled him since he's so young and had an entirely new habitat to get used to. I put a cling wrap around his cage because he wouldn't stop glass surfing. He still does it but not as much. I'm not sure what else to do about it or if he's ready to start sitting with me and hanging out.

His temps are perfect (well I think so), 95 on hot side with the basking light, his slate rock gets up to about 105, cool side 80 with the uva/uvb tube bulb. I mist his glass walls and rock twice a day to keep his humidity up at around 30-40% and have a little water dish in there.

I think I gave enough information. I see on this website a lot of people having to ask these types of temp/tank questions before being able to help figure out solutions. As you can guess I am new to the dragon experience!Any help is appreciated and I can give more information if needed!

How old is he ?

Have you weighed him ?

I suspect the issue is he's very young (under 4 weeks old and was too young to be sold) and very likely the UVB bulb is inadequate.

Exactly what are the globes you have in his viv ? basking & UVB ?
Need to know the brand (VERY IMPORTANT).
and very detailed specifics see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

This is my approach feeding schedule
basic Feeding schedules :

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it).

Juveniles (6 months to 12 months)
two feeds of insects per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it)

Subadult (12 months - 24 months)
one insect feed per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily

Adult
I still give one insect meal per day (but it's smaller than the subadults get) + high calcium greens .

Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
small (1-1.5 inch for sub 3 month olds)
medium (1.5 - 2 inch for larger hatchlings and juveniles)
large ( > 2 inch for beardies older than 12 months.
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Repashi GRUBPIE is acceptable as a backup food.

QueenHaydees

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1emmxw01 said:
QueenHaydees":1emmxw01 said:
I got my baby about two weeks ago. I was told he/she (I decided he bc I thought I saw his chin bulge a few times ( ?? that's a new one ?? ), I could be crazy lol) was only a month old but was eating greens so that's why the breeders were selling them. I cant for the life of me get him to eat veggies! I tried slicing little carrots thin, shredding them, cooking them, mashing them. Won't eat any lettuces. I left some on the side of his little water dish two different days for the day to see if he would nibble while I was gone and no luck. I got some baby food (all natural only ingredient is the fruit or veggie) he seemed to lick up a good amount of the mango but then the sweet potato or carrot one he turns his nose up at. I have tried leaving some on a baby spoon in there for him and he acts afraid of it. He loves the dubia roaches (small baby ones right now) that I dust in his vitamins for him. If he's not being bratty in the mornings before I leave for work he will eat about 3 roaches then when I get home throughout the night he will eat 4-6. I only put one in at a time because he starts to act afraid and run away from them if he's full. While talking about these roaches, what's the best way to keep them and can they eat the cricket gut loading cube things or should they have something else?

How old is he ?

Have you weighed him ?

I suspect the issue is he's very young (under 4 weeks old and was too young to be sold) and very likely the UVB bulb is inadequate.

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving

one insect feed per day

Adult
I still give one insect meal per day (but it's smaller than the subadults get) + high calcium greens .

Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Looking back at the dates I have had him longer then I thought. I would say hes 7-8 weeks old. I have actually never weighed him :O will have to do that when I get home. Do you think its been long enough that I can get him out and hold him a bit or should I still leave him alone..

I have the ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb 10% UVB Output, 30% UVA Output, full spectrum 13W and Exo Terra Basking light, 75% 50W intense one... Will have to look at the boxes when I get home to make sure that's exactly right but I do believe those are the bulbs I have on him. No tint/color on the bulbs. We use a temperature gun to get exact temps as well.

So maybe I shouldn't worry too much if he isn't eating veggies yet? Just keep offering them in his cage everyday and he will eventually start eating them? Hes right on target with the bug feedings so that's good!

Appreciate the help!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
QueenHaydees":2abe4fyb said:
kingofnobbys":2abe4fyb said:
QueenHaydees":2abe4fyb said:

How old is he ?

Have you weighed him ?

hatchlings

one insect feed per day

Adult

Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
>> silkworms

Looking back at the dates I have had him longer then I thought. I would say hes 7-8 weeks old. I have actually never weighed him :O will have to do that when I get home. Do you think its been long enough that I can get him out and hold him a bit or should I still leave him alone..

I kept my handling for my gang when little like your's to the minimum, aboyt 10mins in the am to take them each out (I deposited them in a 35L holding tub while I cleaned each rearing tub ( essentially removed paper towels and recaptured any crickets who had survive the previous day and overnight (never found more than 1 or 2 rogue crickets per rearing tub) and then once everything was reassembled I do my bonding ritual ( hand feed each their first 2 - 3 crickets ) then I'd deposit each in their rearing tub and drop the rest of the feed of crickets in 2 or 3 at a time and continue until they lost interest in the insects.
We had also had a routine where I'd take each out in turn when it was getting close to lights out and it was snuggle time ( 20 mins ).

I didn't let my little guys run about on the floor until they were about 200g and getting to big to disappear under doors, the fridge or lounge.

I have the ZooMed ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb 10% UVB Output, 30% UVA Output, full spectrum 13W
<<< that's unfortunate , being such a low wattage , it's penetration power is very low , the minimum I'd use (and this is what I used for my hatchlings and still do) is a 26W UVB200 mounted in an exo terra nanohood , this needs to be mounted UNDER the lid and no more than 8 inches from the basking spot.
see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
A 10% - 12% UVB T8 going to be better (again mounted in a reflector hood , under the lid and no more than 8 inches from the basking spot ,
or even better a 10% - 12% UVB T5HO mounted in a reflector hood , under the mesh lid and about 10-12 inches from the basking spot.

and Exo Terra Basking light, 75% 50W intense one... Will have to look at the boxes when I get home to make sure that's exactly right but I do believe those are the bulbs I have on him. No tint/color on the bulbs. We use a temperature gun to get exact temps as well.
<<< OK but need to also get zone arir temperatures , to do that you need a digital thermometer with probe that can be dangled in the are at the appropriate spot , ie http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-LCD-Digital-Temperature-Thermometer-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Reptile/172452294173?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107090050%26meid%3D2f7042e06fbf49ef8ed29ef34ebfc083%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D391259141696

So maybe I shouldn't worry too much if he isn't eating veggies yet?
<<< he'll come to them of his accord or get some by accident when he nails a bug who happens to be raiding the greens.
if eats some greens at his age , it's a bonus.

Just keep offering them in his cage everyday and he will eventually start eating them? Hes right on target with the bug feedings so that's good!

Appreciate the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom