Baby food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I purchased 2 beardie from Pet Smart, I know, worst decision on a place to purchase them. But anyways, I have one very healthy boy, he has grown about an inch and gain a significant amount of weight in the 3 weeks we have had them. My other guy is sick as can be. I have taken him to the vet. They have me force feeding at this time. He was not eating on his own at all for several days. He gets a bath regularly, his temps are right and he has only been given live, gut loaded feeders, and fresh fruit and veggies changed out every day. They were in the same tank, we have since separated them into their own tanks. My big guy Falkor is right at 8 inches and eats like a horse, but my little one, Itachi, is a little user 7 inches. I have been blending up fresh fruit and veggies and calcium and reptiade to feed him through a small syringe. He hates it I hate it. So I am trying baby food with calcium powder and vitamins. Today we tried just letting him lick it off his nose and when he opens enough dropping a drop or two into his mouth. This was much easier and much less stressful for he and I. I hate trying to pry his tiny mouth open. I a. Currently using a mix of chicken, sweet potato, and Apple, mango, and papaya and doing it tiny drop by tiny drop on his nose. So he is getting veggies, fruit and protein. My big guy likes to run around while I am feeding the sick one, and he likes to take bites of the fruit and veggies (no chicken for him, he eats live feeders). My question is, for my healthy guy, who eats lots of live feeders, and also is given and eats fresh fruits and veggies, to have a few bites of the baby food every now and again? Just as a treat? I am feeding them beechnut all natural. Just fruit and veg, nothing added to them, checked all labels.

Ps: we offer fresh fruits and veggies at all times to both the healthy and sick guy, given fresh water all day long, and offered live feeders 3 to 4 times daily. If Itachi wont eat anything, then he is feed the mixture of baby food and vitamins. It's really a last ditch effort to make sure he gets something in his tummy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is he eating a fair bit when you offer the baby food? I hope that helps him. I've had good luck using green beans, squash, and sweet potato baby food as well. I would reduce the amount of fruit you offer as that should be a minimal part of their diet. As far as the healthy dragon goes, it won't hurt him to have some baby food but if he's eating on his own I'd just keep offering him a variety of fresh veges and live bugs. Perhaps pick up a container of black soldier fly larvae to offer him as a treat.

Bribribebop

Original Poster
CooperDragon":28j0tcsq said:
Is he eating a fair bit when you offer the baby food? I hope that helps him. I've had good luck using green beans, squash, and sweet potato baby food as well. I would reduce the amount of fruit you offer as that should be a minimal part of their diet. As far as the healthy dragon goes, it won't hurt him to have some baby food but if he's eating on his own I'd just keep offering him a variety of fresh veges and live bugs. Perhaps pick up a container of black soldier fly larvae to offer him as a treat.

He doesn't really eat a Lot at a time, but we do a few drops every few hours after basking and getting warm. Today we are doing chicken baby food and green beans with a little honey for sweetness, and lunch is prunes to make sure we pass some poo. Keeping it mixed up for him. He is given time with live feeders at regular meal times, if he will eat 1 or more live feeders, then he gets left alone and no hand feeding/annoying him into eating occurs, he just gets to go back to basking. He is fed live feeders in his home, with everything but his carpet removed, allowed 10 to 20 minutes depening on how he is acting, if he is showing no interest or not eating at all I remove them, as to keep him from getting bit at all, I do not need him being sick and have any kind of wounds. I watch him very closely at feeding time. Not right where he can see me, but I do not leave the room while crickets are in the cage, but if he won't eat anything alive, which he goes through phases it seems, some days he will eat 2 to 4 live crickets in day, to nothing for a few day, other then what I can manage to get in him. My big boy eats 15 to 20 crickets a day, and seems to dig through his veggies after lights out. Which are a mix of mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, dark curly kale, with a small amount of fruit, which changes depending on what I have in the fridge daily. But my goal was to have them on an only fresh diet, no pellets or freeze dried anything. But with Itachi being sick, it's all about making sure there is food in his tummy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. Multiple smaller meals are better than large meals for him at this point anyway so offering small bits every couple of hours is a good plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom