Fool proof cricker feeder cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsubaby

(remove if this isnt the right thread for this)

So during this summer I got my first beardi from someone who couldnt take care of him anymore. I got everything he need (I assume everything) From him. He was adorable and smug little ****. I love him to peices. But your not here for that.

My house no mater how much I clean; desinfect put things like ant repilent or traps around I always have ants in my room...everywhere. My mom just leaves them. We lock away any sweet fruit away at night and put traps up just in case.

I came to learn that ants are a issue for crickets. They are opunistic hunters. I didnt pay much mind to it at first as they didnt bother with the live crickets. But a cold front came in at night and killed the 3 -5 left in the bigger feeder I had. I woke up the next morning to find ants swarming the feeder. I freaked out. I say them tear into them like zombies would if they ate me or someone. IT scared me so much. I went out and bought the smallest one I could find. They still got in. So I made it so they cant get in and crickets cant escape.

This is a step by step way to insure that a feeder doesnt get broken into by things that could kill your beardis food.

Supplies:
One Bug Suit Top/pants (For bigger feeders) You can find them in local dollarstores or camping stores.
-Y25M_0SSxet55yzHoewvA.png

Scissors
Elastic bands

Step one:
Lay your bug top flat on a table or surface.
I used a sleeve for the small feeder I have.
Cut at the shoulder.

Step two:
Slide your feeder into the shoulder hole you made
Slide it all the way to the wrist. Do not push it out.

Step Three:
Take a elastic band and tie it around the mesh sleeve closer towards the shoulder. Leave a bit of give to the mesh.

Step Four: Tie off the shoulder end of the mesh sleeve close to the feeder and cut away the excess mesh away.

Your done.

IT should come out like this
untitled_by_tsubaby-dbm7wwj.jpg
untitled_by_tsubaby-dbm7wwq.jpg
image_by_tsubaby-dbm7wxf.jpg

I tested this on some died crickets from another cold front left them there and no ants. Then I took the mesh off and ants swarmed it. SO I hope this helps anyone.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a very creative way of protecting your crickets from ants. I'm glad it was successful for you. Thanks for sharing it!

Tsubaby

Original Poster
Thanks! it also makes sure that they dont get out either. I havent had any escape from the feeder while I had it on. I have another big feeder im going to re use and wash in a bit see if it woould work for that one aswell.

Also note; You can just make/hand stitch one your self. The shirt pants just have the draw string already there and less hassle then doing it all by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom