Too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,

So I'm noticing my beardie is still eating a lot of dubias, he can easily eat up 20-30 dubia roaches for one meal. I normally get this size for him "Small 3/8" and Under". I am thinking that perhaps he needs a lot of them because there really small in size for him? Is that a good size or should I get a different dubia size for him? Thanks! :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He could be eating the 1/2" size now easily. Whenever you go up a size don't feed TOO many at one time the first day or two just to be sure the bigger bugs are being digested properly, but it should be fine.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok ill try giving him a bit bigger dubias, usually he can eat 20-30 so should i try offering 10 dubias at a time?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
The general rule of thumb is to measure the distance between the beardie's eyes and then don't feed him anything larger than that, but it does sound like your beardie may have outgrown the smaller size.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, you could always go to the next size smaller if he appears to be having trouble with the larger ones. I think it's always better to err on the side of feeding them something a little too small than something too large.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you show an actual picture of him eating one ? Maybe they're larger than what they were sold to you as. A 1/2" bug shouldn't be too big for a 13" beardie.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
He's very good at chewing his food thoroughly, at least. Otherwise, it looks like it might be a little on the large side but not really above and beyond what he can handle.

Keep in mind also that when you get live roaches (or crickets or anything else for that matter) and keep them around for a while, and if you're feeding them well (as you should), they will grow, and eventually they will be larger than the size you purchased. (And forgive me if I'm overstating the obvious here... :oops: )

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for stating the obvious :lol: no offense taken but yeah your right i noticed this when i started to see the roaches hard shell in the bin, guessing they are getting bigger? At first i thought they were dying but then saw these white lil guys running around. Just to be safe, i will get the next size down. Today i gave him a bath and he went poop i saw some legs of some sort. Not sure if they were from the roaches or the crickets. I just picked up some at the local feed store. Either way ill give the smaller size down a try and see how does with those. I just figured the chewing was a bit long so i thought maybe it was a tad big for him to chew. Oh btw getting bigger roaches did not affect his appetite at all, still the same. I ordered the 200 for 1/2" gone in 5 days :shock: Count a couple that did not make it but still he loves to eat. I also provide him fresh veggies throughout the day and he eats that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom