Handfeeding techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Seen a few trying to feed stubborn hatchlings , juveniles and adults , often this can become a great source of keeper stress .
Is easy with a bit of practice , and all about timing .

I never use tweezers to hand feed my gang.

I simply use crickets (of appropriate size which are gutloaded and dusted). These I take 2 or 3 from the dusting tub, I squash their heads , this disables and blinds them , and I pull off the biggest (hind) legs.
I refer to the legs are drumsticks (ala chicken drumsticks) , I position little lizard on my chest with it's head facing me and my left hand cupped over the lizard and my left wrist resting on lizards tail (the end of it - this tends to discourage the lizard from dashing off) .
Timing is everything.

Take a drumstick and slip it thick end first into the side of the lizard's mouth , a little bit pressure might be required , while lizard chews the drumstick , position the gooy end of the cricket (head) against the side of the mouth , hungry lizard will taste the cricket's inards and eat it (watch your finger tips here, if enthusiastic it's not uncommon to get an accidential nip on the finger tips)..
Repeat.

This worked for me for baby bluetongue skinks, a water skink, and my beardies when they were young.

Everyone who handfeeds their pet lizards has their own approach , here's one of many utube clips to show how to do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYVe79z5wEM , i'm a bit gentler than this guy , but I pull down on the lower lip enough to get the mouth open enough to slip one end of the bug in.
Here's another approach by someone else : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbhjaFS0eBA

If you have a technique that works for you, feel free to share , lots of stressed keepers out there who need the help .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom