1 month old beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I was wondering if a 1 month old bearded dragon will overeat? I am going on vacation for a week, however my roommate is really scared of bugs. I was thinking I can leave a large dish of dubia roaches with some fruit for moisture and leave it there for him. Roommate will check in everyday to make sure the dragon has water.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
To prevent overheating, you can set up a timer to your bulbs or set up a thermostat, however those are quite expensive. What wattage are your bulbs? I would also reccomend not just leaving fruit in there for your beardie, for two reasons, it will rot and two beardies need to be provided with fresh salad daily. If the dubia roaches you have left in there are live, they will most likely hide and scatter under the substrate or your beardie will eat them all in one go and will not have any food for the remaining days. Considering his age, he needs to be feed daily, so you could work out some options with your roomate, such as transfering the bugs to a cage via tweezers or a toilet role.

Edit: sorry my mistake I thought you said overheat :D

aaroncoolio

Original Poster
Chanza":2lrew6qb said:
To prevent overheating, you can set up a timer to your bulbs or set up a thermostat, however those are quite expensive. What wattage are your bulbs? I would also reccomend not just leaving fruit in there for your beardie, for two reasons, it will rot and two beardies need to be provided with fresh salad daily. If the dubia roaches you have left in there are live, they will most likely hide and scatter under the substrate or your beardie will eat them all in one go and will not have any food for the remaining days. Considering his age, he needs to be feed daily, so you could work out some options with your roomate, such as transfering the bugs to a cage via tweezers or a toilet role.

Edit: sorry my mistake I thought you said overheat :D
The dubias can't climb, they will be in a feeding dish, the fruit will be for them so they won't die over that whole time. However yeah, if he overeats them all, I'm out of luck.
Yeah. I'm thinking otherwise I might prepare a bunch of 1 oz cups of dubias and have the roommate just pour them in. However this is not preferred.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bad idea : such a young hatchling dragon needs to be fed live insects three times per day .
Personally, I wouldn't leave a hatchling to it's own devises for more than a day.

Better insect is BSF maggots , if you get a bunch of 8oz round tubs like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Takeaway-Plastic-Round-Food-Container-Matching-with-Lids-Bulk-Disposable-Sauce-/222463657368?var=&hash=item33cbde0598:m:mofq6rjIAvh57r_dZRWyz8A , make some holes in the lids so the insects can get fresh air but too small to let them climb out , and deposit enough BSF maggots for each meal in each tub and simply make the tubs
day1 meal1
day1 meal2
day1 meal3
etc

and then have the sitter place the tub without the lid in the viv the hatchling will likely see the insects and get and eat them, any left over maggots will simply be added to the next meal. BSF maggots are slow moving and wont crawl off and hide .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom