Can I feed ants to bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmas4

I know this is a weird question but I have an ant colony. The ant population will have to be thinned down. I know what I feed my ants and know that there are no bad chemicals on them. This will NOT be a stable for my bearded dragon. It will only be severed rarely. Can bearded dragons eat ants?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If they are big enough , yes .

Wild bearded dragons have been found in extensive scientific studies to have mostly ants in their stomachs.

I don't know what the nutritional content of ants will be though. So maybe as a treat.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Some species of ants can contain high levels of toxins, hence why they often smell bad when squished. Would you happen to know the species?

Jmas4

Original Poster
Chanza":3p08v4tb said:
Some species of ants can contain high levels of toxins, hence why they often smell bad when squished. Would you happen to know the species?
The species is the Camponotus sp. Also known as the carpenter ant.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Coming from Australia, I do know the most common ant species in Central Australia aren't your average carpenter ants, such as honey ants, green ants, bull ants and some species of sugar ants. Carpenter ants would most likely end up in Central Australia some where as they are such a common species, however ours fall under a different family of irodomyremex glaber. So just incase, I would reccomended releasing some of those ants into the wild, or find another way to decrease the population. Most ant species in Australia are very protein rich, and are quite large, hence why beardies eat them, in which I am assuming carpenter ants are quite small. I have heard your species spray a toxin from their head to ward of predators, so the toxin they hold inside their body could be toxic to dragons in large amounts.

Hope this helped :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Chanza":1zrdv49e said:
Coming from Australia, I do know the most common ant species in Central Australia aren't your average carpenter ants, such as honey ants, green ants, bull ants and some species of sugar ants. Carpenter ants would most likely end up in Central Australia some where as they are such a common species, however ours fall under a different family of irodomyremex glaber. So just incase, I would reccomended releasing some of those ants into the wild, or find another way to decrease the population. Most ant species in Australia are very protein rich, and are quite large, hence why beardies eat them, in which I am assuming carpenter ants are quite small. I have heard your species spray a toxin from their head to ward of predators, so the toxin they hold inside their body could be toxic to dragons in large amounts.

Not very knowledgeable about ants, but yes we have a large range of ant sizes here, and ants are extremely common in the natural range of beardies (been there and seen , "interacted" with those ants)
If you ever spend some time there, things will strike you :
>> not much sand
>> very flat landscape with more trees and shrubs than you expected
>> the grass (is very spikey)
>> standing water and flowing water is hard to find.
>> ants, flies, budgies and finches ... they are everywhere !!

And I've seen the occasional beardie stake out an ant trail and pick off some astonishingly big and nasty looking ants (even bull ants) , and if you break open a termite mound , skinks and dragons will soon be there to have a feast.

The stuff these ants spray is formic acid - I believe (I think Attenborough spoke about them in some of the nature docs), same as in the stings of other ants.

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Makes sense! Yes, in outback Australia we do have very large ants, and it is quite a shruby landscape. I don't know an awful lot about American ant species, but if the formic acid seems harmless then perhaps it is okay? I haven't heard a beardie eating a scorpion, but by knowledge there are quite a few species in Australian, in which do carry venom so surely beardies would have some sort of system to digest poison to a certain extent? For the definite though, ants surely wouldn't impact a beardie.

Jmas4

Original Poster
Thank you guys for all the replies. I will look into the Formica acid of my ants.
Chanza":2kh8warl said:

This makes total sense thank you. The carpenter ants I have are 1/2 an inch.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Jmas4":1v4l10ct said:
Thank you guys for all the replies. I will look into the Formica acid of my ants.
Chanza":1v4l10ct said:

This makes total sense thank you. The carpenter ants I have are 1/2 an inch.

worth a try .... if beardie tries some , he will soon tell you if he likes them. I'd offer a few at time in a tub the ants can't escape from , maybe chill them in the freezer for a little while to make them less lively / less aggressive..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom