Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I'm still waiting on my beardies food to arrive in the mail for dubias and BSFL... he is now 11 inches from head to tail. Was curious if i should stick to the medium sized crickets or the small ones? My concern was that if the crickets are big for beardie can cause impaction or hurt their digestive tract? Is that true? I did get him the medium sized ones and he ate them with no problem but also trying to be safe as well. I got him a mix of small / medium and he ate all of them with no problem 120 crickets gone in 3 days :eek:

Or should i continue getting a mix of small and mediums? Not sure if i should stick to just one size or both is okay.

Reptilelady":rj11ulux said:
Hello everyone,
I'm still waiting on my beardies food to arrive in the mail for dubias and BSFL... he is now 11 inches from head to tail. Was curious if i should stick to the medium sized crickets or the small ones? My concern was that if the crickets are big for beardie can cause impaction or hurt their digestive tract? Is that true? I did get him the medium sized ones and he ate them with no problem but also trying to be safe as well. I got him a mix of small / medium and he ate all of them with no problem 120 crickets gone in 3 days :eek:

Or should i continue getting a mix of small and mediums? Not sure if i should stick to just one size or both is okay.

Hello!
Personally, I would stick to the medium sized crickets if they fit the length between his eyes. I have a beardie that is 8 inches and I've been feeding him medium sized crickets for quite a while and are only slightly bigger than the width of his eyes, and he's doing just fine. You shouldn't have a problem with impaction if your beardie is well hydrated. And I just recently got smaller crickets from a local pet store, what a mistake. They're almost all gone! So I would stick to the medium sized crickets to tend to his appetite, and that means you wouldn't have to be going to the pet store too often to get small crickets, since they go very fast.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much Sunskittle :D I like that name btw, is that name for one of your beardies?

Reptilelady":rhhowwf5 said:
Thank you so much Sunskittle :D I like that name btw, is that name for one of your beardies?

No problem :) and no, although that is a good name lol. My beardie's name is Cecil.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'll second the use of crickets as your beardie's staple feeder insect.

Crickets are nice little critters, they are inquisitive, I often see them in their keeper tubs studying me , if you loose some in the house, they wont breed and infest the house like roaches will , they are dead easy to keep healthy , and when they get to be adults, the males churp (I like the sound).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom