Is giving mix okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a baby bearded dragon, however I am unsure of how old or how long. He is at least four months old, however. Anyways, I was wondering if Zilla Omnivore Mix would be okay to give him? I want to introduce new foods to him, however I'm afraid the mix won't be good.

It has dehydrated/sun dried: Zucchini, Book Choy, Green beans, peas, bananas, carrots, crickets, mealworms, and silkworm pupae.

He may not even eat it, however I still want to be sure so I dont accident give him something bad.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those ingredients shouldn't be harmful but I'm not crazy about the idea of dehydrated food. Since dragons get a lot of their hydration from food, I prefer to offer them fresh veges and live bugs. A lot of those items would be great as part of a fresh salad along with items on this list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html. I offer 2-3 items in each salad and just rotate depending on what looks fresh at the store each week.

For bugs, offering silk worms and black soldier fly larvae and crickets and roaches are all good options. I like using roaches as a staple because they are easy to care for. Silk worms tend to be more seasonal so I offer them when I can get them. Black soldier fly larvae are a good live worm option and easy to get but they are small so I usually order them in large quantities. Crickets are stinky and noisy so I tend to avoid them when possible but they are a relatively healthy feeder option if that's what you have available.

If you do offer that mix I would try to supplement the missing hydration by offering drops of water on his nose to lick up.

Enderdragon85458

Original Poster
With the mix, you're supposed to add some water to it so they rehydrate, so I don't think the water side of things is too worrisome.

At the moment, I'm only using crickets, however I will be opening up to leafy greens in the near future, and other bugs in the future. My mom hasn't gotten any greens from her work yet, and we're only able to get bugs from our local Petco for the time being.

Thank you, by the way! I was worried about blockage in his guys and such, however my worries have been calmed down since!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Had to look it up
Ingredients:
Sun-cured Bok Choy, Dehydrated Zucchini, Dehydrated Green Beans, Dehydrated Peas, Dehydrated Bananas Sun-cured Carrots, Dehydrated Crickets, Dehydrated Mealworms, Dehydrated Silkworm Pupae, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Gluconate.

IMO it's an expensive way to feed your beardie , and I'm pretty sure most of the nutrition will be gone / destroyed in the processing/ packaging , so I wouldn't waste my money on the rubbish. Best it will is fill beardie's tummy IF YOU CAN CONVINCE beardie to even eat the stuff.

budzoboy

I grow my own dandilions in a large planter, away from pesticides, etc.
I use plant food on them to enlarge the sizes
then pick them and store in fridge...free and easy!
and the beardies love them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom