Running out of food...Yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi everyone,
So i got my beardie on a regime of dubias/BSFL he loves them more than crickets. I ordered more but this time twice as much insects as last time. I have some BSFL left but he ran out of Dubias completely. Will he be okay in the next couple days if i offer salad and some BSFL here and there til the new food comes in? I feel terrible as hes moody, not getting as much food so hes been acting a bit erratic but im sure he is just using normal instincts which is hunting / looking for more food. This guy or girl (which im not exactly sure the right sex at the moment) CAN EAT A LOT OF FOOD! I may have to take out a personal loan just to feed him. He eats more than i do :lol: I am trying to stay away from crickets but if he absolutely needs to have a couple i will get him some. Plus since hes getting older shouldn't he be getting more salads/veggies anyhow?

Let me know your thoughts/opinions.
Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can eat you out of house and home for a while. It gets much easier when they're done growing. They're like teenagers in terms of food (and sometimes mood). He will be fine for a few days until more food arrives. Salads in the meantime are a good idea and will take care of him if he gets hungry enough.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Right? :lol: Hes happy when he has more insects, he takes a couple bites of the salad and then hes like okay I'm over it. I just hope he will like salads more when he gets older. I only got a small quantity at first see how he does/ how he will react to the new food changes. He will eat the crickets but not like to where hes jumping out of the cage for them like he does with dubias and BSFL. Trying to keep him a happy dragon and i guess i picked a beardie who loves food :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you'll find that over time his preferences may change so what he loves one day he may not show interest in so it's good to keep offering as much variety as you can. He may show interest in new things down the line and a varied diet will keep him healthier. This is especially true once he gets into salads as he's older.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah sorta like people. I hated veggies as a kid now i can eat them with no problem :lol: I couldnt stand that my beardie was without insects so i went to the local pet store and got 60 small crickets since they had some in but my goodness i think he is over the small cricket stage. I just fed him 30 small crickets for dinner and with some dandelion greens :eek: I think next time ill stick to the medium sized ones. Im thinking can order the same amount but feed less often since they will be meatier. :lol:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Speaking of which when i went into the petstore this guy had a 1 year old beardie sitting on his shoulder im like omg soooo cute so i asked if i can pet him and he was sooo mellow. I love when people take good care of their pets it really shows. I like this petstore place a lot better than petco/petsmart. Least they are like family you know?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Reptilelady":12woisdw said:
Yeah sorta like people. I hated veggies as a kid now i can eat them with no problem :lol: I couldnt stand that my beardie was without insects so i went to the local pet store and got 60 small crickets since they had some in but my goodness i think he is over the small cricket stage. I just fed him 30 small crickets for dinner and with some dandelion greens :eek: I think next time ill stick to the medium sized ones. Im thinking can order the same amount but feed less often since they will be meatier. :lol:

Yep I sometimes resort to buying insects from a petshop too. Prefer not too , and usually my bulk orders last me .

I've always got some supers and mealworms on hand . Used as treats , and the of cause the wild skinks love mealworms.

My staples at present are crickets and big silkworms for the BTs and beardies. One big silkworm each per day + some crickets + greens.
Down to my last 16 - 20 big silkworms , will be a month or so before the baby silkworms on hand that I hatched about 2 weeks ago are big enough to use as feeders.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've been looking for silkworms but no luck. Is it a seasonal thing or is there specific website to buy them from? My beardie does really well with a variety of feeders which is what im doing dubias/BSFL are his staples. Occasional crickets whenever im waiting in between orders online (cheaper and better deals). At the petstore wanted 50 dubias for 15 dollars. Ouch. I know dubias are more expensive but to feed my guy would cost me 100 dollars just for the month just for dubias so trying to be cost effective as well on the other feeders. Crickets are cheap but they also die quickly. Pro and cons to everything.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They do tend to be seasonal. Try coastal silkworms. That's where I usually get mine now. They come in a pod with some food but I'd order a bit extra in case they last longer than their food does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep. Hornworm pods are nice too. They come and go from stock as they grow so keep checking back with them. If they're out they'll usually have more within a couple few weeks. That's the rub with ordering silkworms.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes and no. They're pretty healthy but they are quite big. Better suited to adult dragons in my opinion and they seem quite filling so I usually only offer one or two at a time. I order them every few months and offer them as a treat.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok so in my case since my beardie is young/juvi stage probably best not to offer him any until hes older least til the sub adult stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom