Feeding juvenile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaraya

Ive been doing research cuz i rlly want a reptile and i figured i should start off with a bearded dragon i do want a baby and ive been able to find everything i need to know except for the feeding pary everything is just about adults. I want to know how feeding the crickets works cuz i heard they can eat 30-50 a day but i also saw that the crickets usually die in like 2 days how do i keep them alive longer? I don't want to go to the pet store everyday. Also how does feeding them work i saw some ppl just put the whole bag in but what if the beardie doesnt eat all of them ive heard your supposed to take them out bcuz of they can mess with your beardie while they sleep. Then i also saw ppl feed them in seperate containers but i also wasnt sure how that works so if someone could just simplify the whole feeding babies thing and keeping crickets alive longer. Oh and do you have to feed them everyday of the week? How do i ratio of greens to crickets? And is there something else that gives as much nutrients as crickets that i can feed a baby? Sorry questions just started floating to my head.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had better luck using dubia roaches than crickets. If you have time before you get a dragon, you could get a colony started. That will give you a large food source without having to go to the store or order bulk crickets. They are much hardier than crickets are. They are illegal in some places such as Florida and Canada though. Here is some more info about them. I'd give yourself a few months to get a colony going before getting your dragon. https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

As for feeding, young dragons should be fed a couple of times per day. I offer a salad every day and then two bug meals. I dust the bugs in calcium supplement and offer them a few at a time for about 5-10 minutes or until the dragon loses interest. At about a year old you can cut back to once per day and by about 18 months they should only get bugs a couple of times per week while eating mostly salads. It's a gradual transition but I've found it's easier if they are familiar with salads since they are young so I would offer daily salads even if they get ignored in favor of bugs. The roach colony will easily take care of any leftovers for you. As far as salads go, I like to offer 2-3 items from this list in each salad and rotate depending on what looks fresh at the store each week. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom