Training to Use Feeder Bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have what I assume is about a two or so month old beardie who's around 7 inches named M'Zukahn. I have been trying so hard to get him to eat crickets in a separate feeding bin, because I can't stand putting them in his viv, because they get lost so easily and I end up having to take everything out to find them. But he refuses to eat outside his viv, and just gets stressed out in his feeding bin. He just tries to escape.

My question is how do you train them to eat in a feeding bin. I usually give up and just feed him in his viv. Should I try and starve him out, and he'll get hungry enough to finally eat, or should I just give up? I refuse to feed him crickets in his Viv anymore, so I just give him bsfl instead, but I would love him to eat crickets in his feeding bin. He's a lazy hunter and doesn't go after them fast enough to do it in his viv, even one at a time.

Thanks so much in advance!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The feeding bins can stress them out from what I've seen. I've never had luck using them. What I found to work best is to dust the bugs in a small cup (I use a cleaned out yogurt cup) and release them just a few at a time so they are easy to track. Just repeat until he loses interest and remove any leftovers. I've found that dubia roaches are easier to care for and move a bit more slowly so they're easier to use as a staple feeder. I usually just offer them one at a time on a section of vinyl flooring and let my dragon hunt them down. He's an adult though, so he only eats a handful of the adult bugs at a time. It would be tougher and take longer to do it that way with small bugs for a little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom