I think I'm a "Feeder" oh No! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
88187-151312980.jpg
Been reading this forum and I've come to the conclusion that I might be guilty of over feeding Lizzy :(

She's always begging at her window, so I take her out for a "run". Usually she she just wants to come to my room to her alternate basking spot on my headboard or window but sometimes does go for a mental run around the house. But more often she turns right around into her viv and looks at me, so I put in her salad.

The salad which she won't touch until I'm not looking then throws it everywhere. Repeat scenario one but with bugs.

She was purchased as a baby on 8.22.2016 17 inches long and 360 grams. I was told she was 4 months but not a chance ( unless she was a runt) but she's definitely a YEAR OLD now.

She doesn't always eat her roaches, or her supers, she's a bit chunky. I'm guessing bugs should not be on the menu every day, nor should they be offered twice a day?

Humiliating. ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At that age she should be eating mostly veges with bugs just once or twice per week. It may take some patience to get her to stop trashing her salads but I'd just keep rotating items to try and gain her interest. I've had good luck hand feeding bits of salad to help attract attention to it. Not a whole lot to do about her energy levels except let her run around.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Cooper?,
I've become accustomed to her wild side now, I rather enjoy it. We go for "sprints" and she actually comes to a different room when I call her. I find that really rather exciting, whether it be her response to her name or familiar sound stimuli I'll never know but it's really cool to show it off to non reptile type people lol.

The salads: she will eat a bit from my hand, before of course realizing that she is a dragon, and dragons NEVER eat salad in front of humans. Harrumph!

I'm feeding her: curly mustard as a staple, cactus pads mixed in several times a week, watermelon, butternutsquash, green beans, cantaloupe, apples, broccoli (occasionally) cauliflower) I pretty much toss in a bit of whatever fruit and veg is on my menu for her and the bugs she is fussy tho it seems.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a pretty good routine. Impressive that she comes running when you call! Darwin does that but only when I have a treat like a silkworm or hornworm for him =)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
lol I will be buying better worms for Lizzy when financial status improves :)

So I guess it's more salads for the girl and less bugs. I'm glad I'm not alone Cooper ;) it's my sons dragon technically, of course he only claims her when he wants to hold her, he doesn't seem to race to when it's time for any cleaning or feeding ?, but he sure likes to tell me " mom, I think she's overweight, are u sure her belly is supposed to be that big??" .... damn kids lol

Ok well I just wanna add on a final note: for creatures that don't bark or meow or make any other vocalizations on being hungry, they sure have a magical of way transfixing you to deliver food with some kind of mind transference system eh?!?! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom