Opinions on canned beardie food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I would say it depends on what you are adding.
By all means, the fresher the food, the better, and generally canned or dried stuff is not preferred as it is less nutritious.

What are you looking to add to the salad?

IggyIggs

Original Poster
BeardieLover232":3d0rtoek said:
i have fed canned crickets to my dragon. she loved the crap out of it! :) it doesn't hurt to try :)

Iggy loves live crickets but there's like this vita infused fruity pebble like food I wouldn't mind trying I am just afraid to hurt my beardie. I an so protective of my baby girl.

IggyIggs

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":34c2g0ab said:
I would say it depends on what you are adding.
By all means, the fresher the food, the better, and generally canned or dried stuff is not preferred as it is less nutritious.

What are you looking to add to the salad?

It's just comes in pellets they are like red pellets that is supposed to be made of like a couple different insects fruits and veggies and I was just going to sprinkle some of those on my salad of kale cucumber blue berries strawberries and raspberries.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
If it's used as a salad sprinkle, as long is it's beardie safe, I can't imagine anything is wrong with that.
The concern with canned/jarred/freeze dried stuff is it should never make up the majority of their diet. Having it in addition to is ok :D

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
IggyIggs":1omru0ar said:
I was just going to sprinkle some of those on my salad of kale cucumber blue berries strawberries and raspberries.

Just a word of caution, and I'm unsure if this is your normal salad, but kale is not a great veggie staple for dragons as it binds calcium. Also with that said, your salad is a little fruit heavy :lol: The water content in cucumber in addition to all those fruits may result in some super runny poo. I'd try and only offer 1 fruit, or small bits of each in with a salad of primarily good veggies, like collard, mustard, turnip, or dandelion greens.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
IggyIggs":12k7q6jy said:
BeardieLover232":12k7q6jy said:
i have fed canned crickets to my dragon. she loved the crap out of it! :) it doesn't hurt to try :)

Iggy loves live crickets but there's like this vita infused fruity pebble like food I wouldn't mind trying I am just afraid to hurt my beardie. I an so protective of my baby girl.
i have fed the pellets to my dragon before. the red is supposed to attract them to make them eat it. but you know, dragons.. if its not moving, not going to eat it!
i have the colorful ones without the bugs and stuffs! my dragons have no interest in them :lol:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
eeaston16":3is33zop said:
Don't do it.

canned food isn't found in the wild for them to eat. just do fresh

There's nothing wrong with introducing something like this as long as it does not make up the majority of their diet.
Please keep in mind that captive beardies have many, many more options than what they'd find in the wild, and captive beardies have double the life span. Not everything they have in nature is the best for them :wink:

IggyIggs

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":35699n3f said:
IggyIggs":35699n3f said:
I was just going to sprinkle some of those on my salad of kale cucumber blue berries strawberries and raspberries.

Just a word of caution, and I'm unsure if this is your normal salad, but kale is not a great veggie staple for dragons as it binds calcium. Also with that said, your salad is a little fruit heavy :lol: The water content in cucumber in addition to all those fruits may result in some super runny poo. I'd try and only offer 1 fruit, or small bits of each in with a salad of primarily good veggies, like collard, mustard, turnip, or dandelion greens.

Kale and Collard greens and cucumber and it sounds fruit heavy but I only use one piece of each to cut up. My Iggy loves blackberries but been wanting to get squash bland sweet potatoes but didn't know if they were good and how to prepare

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Don't waste your money on the stuff.... I've been able to convince any lizard to eat the stuff, by pets look at and then give me stink eye, if I force it into their mouth they promptly spit it out and give me stick eye.

if I offer it to the wild lizards, they show absolutely zero interest in it.

Only the ants will eat it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I picked up some repashy Grub Pie and Pepper was happy to snap it up. I'll probably be offering it as a hand feeding treat.

I haven't found other commercial items that I'd want to feed (tried pellets and they mold super fast when wetted) and most don't seem to have very appealing ingredients. If a sprinkling helps with interest in salad no problem but I wouldn't make a effort to feed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom