still not eating good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayce82

Juvie Member
still haven't figured out gizmos eating issue. he has since refused any live feeder, used to love them all. may eat a roach or two once a week. he'll take 4 or 5 bites of greens from me every morning... but that's it. doesn't seem to be loosing5 any weight. he just finished his antibiotics for coccidia, but it was such a low count the vet said we really didn't need to treat it. temps are all good, uvb bulb is about 4 months old. I think I'm gonna go get a new bulb this weekend to rule that out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was he eating well before the meds, and what meds were they ? How old + what size is Gizmo ?

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he's approximately 1 year old. he ate great up.until about a month or so ago. he just stopped eating good. he was on Albon for coccidia for 5 days. when I visited the vet he said gizmo is right at 1 lb so that's like 420 something grams. I haven't measured lately but he's around 18"-20" long.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
I had a very similar problem. My beardie wouldn't eat after meds for coccidia. He finished his meds about 4-5 months ago and just a week or two ago he started eating more like normal. I found that letting him out of his tank by a window for an hour or two a day helped bring his spirits up a lot and your beardie seems to love it as well. Give him some time, it can take a while for them to get back to normal. Keep offering food every day and keep him hydrated. As long as he isn't losing weight he is okay. :D

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah I give him good amounts of roam time and lounging by the window. he hasn't lost weight yet. I hope he bounces back

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
jayce82":39ktrvee said:
he's approximately 1 year old. he ate great up.until about a month or so ago. he just stopped eating good. he was on Albon for coccidia for 5 days. when I visited the vet he said gizmo is right at 1 lb so that's like 420 something grams. I haven't measured lately but he's around 18"-20" long.
I finally got to weigh him for you. he weighs 472 grams and is 20" long at 1 year old

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well he's still not eating. nothing has changed. I bought a scale and started weighing to watch if he's loosing5 weight. I also just purchased a new t5 bulb and fixture to see if that helps him. would not enough uvb kill his appetite like this?

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Lighting has a lot to do with appetite and not enough uvb could be a reason he isn't eating but most likely it's the medicine. Like i said it took my beardie about 3-4 months after the medicine to start getting back to normal and he still isn't 100%. They take a while to bounce back. Just keep offering him food and water everyday and weigh him often to be sure he isn't loosing a significant amount of weight.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm just super worried about him. he's definitely not acting weird, still explores and runs like no other. I guess I'll just keep at it.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
I know it's very worriesome but keep at it and he'll get back into his old habits. As long as he stays alert and hydrated and isn't losing weight, he's okay.

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he's still super alert. his new t5 bulb and fixture came in today so I'll get that setup this afternoon for him and I should have his new bigger enclosure finished next week

jayce82

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well I came home today and weighed him again since 2 days ago. he lost 3 grams since Friday. I installed his new t5 10.0 just now so I'm hoping the new stronger uvb helps his issue

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
3 grams isn't a significant amount of weight to lose so don't be worried. Beardies can lose up to 20 grams just after a bowl movement. Keep weighing him and make sure his weight doesn't continue to drop significantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom