Can carrot be a staple veggie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby beardie loves eating carrots and won't eat any other veggie I try to feed him. I cut into half centimeter pieces and he loves he eating them. His salad usually consists of Bok Choy, Carrots, watercress and sometimes kale. He loves small crickets and he eats about 9-12 crickets a day. Can carrots be a staple veggie for a baby beardie?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Mysty":11uu9fy1 said:
The reason is that carrots have high vit a. They can overdose on vit a.
It is very very difficult to OD on plant sources of vitamin A. Vitamin A in plants is converted to a usable form in the body (so there are feed back limits) and the process is quite inefficient compared to animal sources of vitamin a.

Carrots are however poor sources of calcium and contain up to moderate amounts of oxalates that can reduce calcium availability. They can be used regularly in small amounts as long as other better food makes up a large part of the consumed diet; they shouldn't eat used as a staple.

Have you tried winter squash like butternut? It has a nice orange color as well and has firm flesh that can be proper similar to carrots. It can be a good staple.

joef

Hatchling Member
The same thing goes for my beardie, he only wants to eat carrots as his veggie. The only other thing that I have found that he likes, is some ground-cover that he found under a bush outside, and the bush tasted good too. So I do give him carrots every day, but I'm going to try to get some bock-choy and see if he likes it.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
[Moved here from General Discussion forum since it is about Feeding. Please try to choose the most appropriate forum to post in, thanks]

jaxbeardie

Original Poster
I have not tried butternut squash yet but I might in the future I only feed my baby beardie small amounts of carrots and I usually feed him carrots every two weeks. He just started to eat some Bok Choy and watercress in his salads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom